This post was written by my friend, Tina. I met her in college, but never even knew she was a convert. As I read her story, I was shocked by the things she had been through. I had no idea her life had been so challenging. But, it is true that God provides a way for each of His children to find the gospel, no matter the initial circumstances.
My name is Tina Cox and I am a
convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I love to share my
conversion story because it shows the love that our Heavenly Father has for
each one of his children and how he provides a way for us to make it back to
him.
Let me start by explaining some of
my background and family dynamics. I was born out of wedlock to my mother, Jean
Ure. My father was unaware of my existence and wasn’t a part of my life until I
was older. I am the youngest of three, the only girl, and my brothers and I all
have different fathers. My mother was born mentally handicapped, which gives
her the mental capacity of a teenager. She was able to raise us and meet our
basic needs, but not in the way that most parents do. Her middle child, Randy,
was also born with a mental disability which complicated things a little more.
My family and I grew up in the more
“ghetto” area of Salt Lake City.
We lived in low-income government housing that was pest-ridden. We were
surrounded by other low-income families, drug users, and gang members. We went
to school when we wanted, weren’t disciplined, and ate poorly. My mom did the
best she could with what she had, but it wasn’t the best environment for a
child to grow up in.
Because I followed the example of
my older brothers and made friends with those who would accept me, I was
rebellious and out of control. At a young age, I learned to shoplift things I
wanted and needed and actually got quite good at it. My wardrobe consisted of
scanty, immodest clothing that we bought from discount clothing stores. I often
got into trouble at school for cussing at my teachers, disobeying the rules, or
bullying other children. My mom would receive calls from the principal and
would come to pick me up, only to reward me with lunch at a fast-food
restaurant called, “Gringos.” I never learned to face my consequences;
therefore I continued to behave badly.
My mother was never married and had
many men coming in and out of our lives. One day when I was around 7 years of
age, I left to a friend’s house and my mom was supposed to come and get me when
it got dark. She never came and I couldn’t get a hold of her, so I decided to
walk home in the dark by myself. When I walked through the door, I saw the
kitchen table covered in beer bottles. My mom and her boyfriend, Robert, were
stumbling over their feet and slurring their words.
I hadn’t eaten dinner yet, so I went
in the kitchen to make myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. My brother
Randy was in the other room and did something to upset Robert. Next thing I
knew, Robert was taking off the belt around his waist and coming after the both
of us. Randy and I ran upstairs to our bedroom, slammed and locked the door
behind us. We ran to the window and popped out the screen. Below the window was
the roof to a small shed that we jumped to. We quickly jumped to the ground and
ran to the next door neighbor’s house to call the police department. Our
neighbors didn’t own a phone, so we ran around the block to my best friend’s
house to use their phone.
The police came to inspect the
situation and our living environment. When they found my mom and her boyfriend drunk,
in a cockroach-infested and dirty duplex, they gave her an ultimatum. She could
put us in foster care or she could call my dad to take all 3 of us for a period
of time. She chose to send us with my dad because it was the only way that we
wouldn’t be separated.
My dad was married to my
step-mother, Linda, and had a son, Frankie, that was only 18 days younger than
me. They were told to come and take my brothers and me with them until the
court stated otherwise. They lived in Riverton, Utah, but my step-mom drove us back to Salt Lake
the next day so we could attend school. We were all to meet her at the flag
pole after school was over, but I was the only one that showed up. My brothers
both walked home to live with my mom again.
At a young age, I knew that I
wanted better! I had endured physical abuse from my mom’s boyfriends and sexual
abuse from my oldest brother. I wanted a place to call home, I wanted a family,
I wanted somewhere safe to go, I wanted rules and consequences and I wanted to
be happy. I knew that the environment I was living in would never give me the
better life I wanted.
So I chose to live with my dad,
step-mom, and half-brother and visit my mom on the weekends. My dad gave me my
own room with pink walls, my own bed, and toys galore. I went to school every
day and was tucked in each night. I was happy but oblivious to the problems
that existed within the walls of my new home. My dad was a veteran who suffered
from post-traumatic stress disorder and dealt with his problems by drinking. He
was an alcoholic and occasionally did drugs with my step-mom.
One night, in a drunken rage, my
dad attempted to take our lives. My brother and I sat on each side of my
step-mom as we watched my dad try to load his shot gun. He eventually got frustrated
when he couldn’t keep his hands steady and passed out. Soon after, we received
a call from the ward bishop introducing himself and asking if there was
anything he could do to help our family. Little did he know that we really did
need his help. Because he followed a prompting, he was able to be an instrument
for our Heavenly Father.
The bishop helped my family get
into a small house down the road where we would be safe. Eventually my step-mom
received custody of me and raised me for the remaining years of my childhood.
We had kind neighbors always willing to serve us and members of the relief
society continually checking on us. Eventually, we had missionaries arrive at
our door to share their glad message of the goodness of the gospel. I instantly
fell in love with the gospel and knew without a doubt that I had found the true
church of Jesus Christ. I can still remember the
way I felt when I stepped foot into the church; peace, happiness, safety, and
love.
My step-mom grew up in the LDS
church but was disfellowshipped, so she didn’t need to get baptized. Frankie
and I wanted to be baptized when we were 8 years old, but my dad refused to
consent. He came from an Italian family that was raised in the Catholic Church
and he felt that we should be raised Catholic as well. It took 2 years to
persuade him to let us get baptized. December 16, 2000, I was baptized and became
a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I felt pure and
cleansed of all my sins and the many awful things that
had happened to me. I knew that my Heavenly Father loved me and that I was a
daughter of God.
Unbeknownst to me, being a member
of the church didn’t mean I would be free of trials. I had to endure many more
until I got my “Happily Ever After.” My brother soon left the church and got
into drugs, immorality issues, and breaking the law. My step-mother could never
love me to her full capacity because I was a constant reminder of my dad’s
betrayal to her. I suffered her verbal abuse on a daily basis and found myself
conflicted with my own self-worth. I was forced to do most of the cleaning and
cooking in the house before I could do my homework. I truly lived a “Cinderella”-like existence; beside
myself and different from those that closely surrounded me.
But despite the way I felt at
times, I was never alone throughout those years! Heavenly Father was constantly
sending angels my way to lead and guide me through my trials. I had amazing
ward members who would pick me up from school when I was sick. I was given
incredible young women leaders who always made sure that I was invited and
attended church and church activities. It was those young women leaders that
reminded me of my divine nature and of my individual worth. They never let me
forget how talented, smart, and loved I was. I was also given bishops who made
sure we always had a roof over our heads, food on our table and presents to
open Christmas morning. It is because of these angels that I was able to
persevere and reach my full potential. It was a ward member who believed in me,
encouraged me to go to college and provided me with the resources to make it
happen.
In 2008, I graduated from Riverton High School
and received a scholarship to Snow College in Ephraim,
Utah. It was in that small and
humble town that I met the man of my dreams and best friend. We were married
May 29, 2009 in the Manti
Temple for time and all
eternity. He is my confidant and has supported me as I have gotten rid of my
emotional baggage. He is my number one fan and reminds me of my strength and
capabilities. It is because of him that I continued my education, received my
associate degree, and completed my Bachelor of Science in Nursing to fulfill my
dream to become a nurse. Together we have changed the destiny of our future
generations and can’t wait to welcome our little girl in April. This is my
Happily Ever After!!
My story is proof that God lives
and is always watching over us! I have a testimony that despite all of his many
children, he knows each one of us individually. He loves us all so much that he
gave his only Begotten Son to atone for our sins so that we could return back
to him. He wants us to be happy and provides continual ways for us to reach
true happiness. I wasn’t born into the church or with a functional family, but
he provided a way for me to find the gospel and have an eternal family of my
own. If I had a chance, I wouldn’t change one thing about my life because it has
made me the woman that I am today and led me to the beautiful life I am living
now. I have so much to be grateful for! Life is so good! The church is true! My
only hope is that every one of my brothers and sisters can feel of God’s love
the way that I have. I say these things in the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ,
Amen.
1 comment:
heavenly father never failed his children thank you for your courageous story
Post a Comment