HI family! Sending this early but I will be on later as well to check
email, so feel free to write back!
Wow. Well, when I said I expected a curveball, I wasn't kidding. I
guess my body knew before me though because a headache and a cold sore
appeared shortly before a phone call from our zone leaders on Thursday
night letting me know that I had an interview the next day with
President Calderwood. I was in shock. I mean, if I ever imagined being
a sister training leader, I imagined it 2 or 3 transfers down the
road.
I couldn't even sleep Thursday night. In fact, I woke up Friday
morning at 4:30, and not being able to go back to bed, just began
packing my things.
Surreal, right? I suddenly found myself thinking of all of our new
investigators and the members we had started working with and
thinking..."Wait, I'm leaving Little Neck. Already?"
Well, the curveball wasn't over. Saturday night we got our transfer
calls and our district leader says, "Sister Price and Martinez you are
out. Sister Peacock, you're staying." There was silence as my mind
raced until I said..."Wait what?" The thought had crossed my mind once
(what if I stay here and they make it the sister training leader pool)
but I was sure that wasn't the case. It threw everyone off especially
because we have sister training leaders 20 minutes away, in the same
zone. They thought the new set would be in Brooklyn. But, guess not!
Looks like I will be here a litttttle while longer, which too makes
sense since I didn't quite feel like I was leaving yet.
I know that Heavenly Father has that magnificent plan. And, like I
said in the past, I trust Him and I trust President Calderwood 100%.
So, though this is definitely a curveball, I am REALLY looking forward
to the coming transfer(s).
What IS a sister training leader? Basically go on exchanges with each
of the sisters (in our designated area...around 6 or 7 companionships
I think), every transfer. We also sit in on the Missionary Leadership
Council each month, with the APs and Zone Leaders. In my interview,
President told me not to be shy with those elders on the council --
that I will be a voice for the sisters. I feel so humbled! And
excited.
I have always looked up to the sister training leaders. I love my
exchanges with them and learn and grow from their examples. They have
helped me countless times when I have not felt "enough." Now, it
humbles me GREATLY to know this is what Heavenly Father wants me to
do. I know he truly does not call the qualified; he qualifies the
called. It reminds me of one of my favorite chapters in the Book of
Mormon, in Alma 26. Ammon is talking about the successes and miracles
they've had in missionary work and his brother chides him for being
boastful. But Ammon continues that he isn't boasting in himself; he is
boasting in God, because with HIM, nothing is impossible.
"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to MY strength, I am weak ... but I
WILL boast of my God, for in His strength I can do ALL things ...
therefore, have we not GREAT reason to rejoice?" (Alma 26:12-13)
As I look back on this past transfer, I can see how the Lord was
preparing me and how my testimony needed this strengthening transfer
to develop and grow. How I really came to rely on the Savior, learn
and study more, be more obedient, become more bold, and believe in
miracles. And now I can look back on it and REJOICE. Rejoice in the
missionary work done here. Rejoice in inviting people to be baptized.
Rejoice in meeting new people. In being more fearless. Rejoice in
getting to know the members and having them teach with us.
This past week has been wonderful. On Monday night, we began teaching
four new investigators (one single woman and three in a family). One
of them, Fernanda, seems like a "pure in heart" person. We taught her
again on Friday and she was asking a lot of questions, really trying
to understand the message. IT was beautiful. I was thinking how sad it
was that I wouldn't see her progress...but now I will :) The other
three are a family (Nilda, Pedro and Daniel). We had caroled for them
at Christmas and they asked us to sing a hymn before we left when we
stopped by on Monday. Music definitely brings the spirit.
Our district leader also asked that we make a lesson plan to help
teach the members to be missionaries and participate in the "hastening
of the work." They had asked us because I had mentioned how we taught
members lessons in missionary work in Riverhead. This time it was a
different approach, so it was a blast to make a new lesson outline.
We also had zone training on Friday. We had workshops on the new
standards of excellence for our mission (we are calling it 5/5/5
because President has set the goals for 2014 at 500 baptisms, 5,000
members at church (in the mission) and 500 recent converts/less
actives to the temple). Last year, our numbers were in the 300s, so
this seems like a big number, but I know it is totally achievable. To
illustrate it, they had every missionary commit to doing a certain
number of pushups. We added it all up and it came to like 479. So, of
course when we did our "required" number, we wanted to keep pushing
ourselves to do more, to hit 500. We ended up getting nearly 800. I
did 33 (and I refused to do "girl pushups"). Ha. But, the point is, we
know hitting our goals are possible. We just have to give everything
we have and work until we drop!
I have been studying obedience this past week and have really started
to understand it more. How it is critical to not only do the right
thing, but for the right reason. ANd to trust in the purposes of
Heavenly Father. I love this quote I found:
"I give you my witness that the leaders of this church will never ask
us to do anything that we cannot perform with the help of the Lord. We
may feel inadequate. That which we are asked to do may not be to our
liking or fit in with our ideas. But if we will try with faith and
prayer and resolution, we can accomplish it." -- Gordon B. Hinckley
(From the October 1971 General Conference) (“If Ye Be Willing and
Obedient”)
Yesterday at church we had a member of the 70 teach us about hastening
the work and being member missionaries. THat will go perfectly with
our new lesson plan. What a blessing that we didn't even know about!
Anyway, I am super excited about the next transfer and know, without a
doubt, I am where GOd needs me, because it sure isnt what I expected.
I was also able to receive a blessing yesterday from Brother Blom. He
drove here from Riverhead with the family and it was a wonderful
opportunity to feel the power of the priesthood, giving me confidence
for the next chapter in my mission. I am so grateful for worthy
priesthood holders and can't wait to have that for myself one day, in
my home.
ALso, on a final note, a member in our ward remembered talking to me
on my first Sunday here. I had told him I was from North Carolina. WE
get a text from him over the weekend and he said he was going down to
NC and would be bringing back some bbq. I didnt know if he was
serious...but he was! He brought back 24 buns, 2 pounds of bbq and
coleslaw, this amazing bbq/vinegar sauce, and also 12 bottles of
Cheerwine. Luckily the elders were still at the church and so all of
us enjoyed a quick lunch at the church. And there was still half of it
left when we were done eating! I shared with one of the elders, who is
from NC as well. It was so nice of Brother Bradley though. It meant a
lot! I have really been blessed by members on my mission.
Anyway, super long email...sorry about that! I love you!
Sister Peacock
No comments:
Post a Comment