HELLO!
So, we hit a breakthrough this week! I think my companions and I are
now friends. That is big news! Mostly I think we all felt rejuvenated
and empowered after our mission-wide Christmas Eve devotional. We have
started to talk a lot more, tell stories, open up about ourselves,
LAUGH together, and equally participate in planning and teaching.
Plus, my weird side is coming out .... :)
I learned this week, in my studies, how change always teach us
something. I love this quote from President Monson from October
General Conference. He says,
"such difficulties allow us to change for the better, to rebuild our
lives in the way our Heavenly Father teaches us, and to become
something different from what we were--better than we were, more
understanding than we were, more empathetic than we were, with
stronger testimonies than we had before. This should be our
purpose--to persevere and endure, yes, but also to become more
spiritually refined as we make our way through sunshine and sorrow.
Were it not for challenges to overcome and problems to solve, we would
remain much as we are, with little or no progress toward our goal of
eternal life. (“I Will Not Fail Thee, nor Forsake Thee”)
The talk, in its entirety, is super great so you should just read it
"I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." It was a great moment of
reflection for me -- to see where I was a year ago, six months, ago,
one month ago, and where I am now. I know that the challenges of this
transfer are to make me become better, to rebuild my life to be more
obedient, and to learn that understanding and patience. I definitely
have seen my testimony grow in the past few weeks as well. I thought
things were great in Riverhead and that I had it all figured out as a
missionary. But, since being here, it is a rededication to my purpose
as a missionary ... to be more obedient, more fearless, more giving,
more bold. Sure, things were pretty great there, but coming here
allowed me to look at what I was doing and ways I could improve to
yield even more blessings. I know I am coming to know my Savior as I
trust in His plans to guide us to people who are ready, and waiting
for the gospel.
Christmas was fantastic. We did service at a veteran's hospital, where
I saw an old piano and began playing christmas carols. Soon enough, we
had a group of about 6 singing along. They were really grateful for
our help too. And dinner at the calderwoods plus a priesthood
blessing...
We met again with our new investigator, Liz. The elders found her and
referred her to us. She is Puerto Rican but has lived in NY for most
of her life. She has three daughters; the youngest is 16. She reminds
me a lot of mom and the relationship between her and her youngest
daughter is very familiar to me. We taught her about the restoration
this past week and I could feel the spirit so strong during the
lesson. She said she believed it was true -- what happened to Joseph
Smith. It is an amazing feeling to be able to promise blessings as a
representative of Jesus Christ. I promised her that if she continued
learning and making the gospel a priority, her family relationships
would improve and she would find greater peace in her life. I know,
beyond a doubt, that is true. I know she felt the truth of the words I
was speaking too, as she was close to tears. I can really see her
progressing towards baptism and hope she will continue meeting with us
so she can find that happiness in her life.
I have also had a few other faith-building experiences this week. I am
starting a project on my blog where friends/missionaries/etc share
stories of their conversion or of coming back to the gospel. In doing
so, I have been able to strengthen my testimony of the power of the
Atonement. I recently received a conversion story from a fellow sister
missionary, and in her story, she talks about the struggles SHE faced
with pornography as a teenager. It was shocking to me to read her
account and realize how far she has come. I hope this project will
help others who are struggling or who need to hear that someone has
been in their place. If you have a story to share, please send it to
me as well. I'm excited to use this tool for a good purpose.
In other news, this week we had a minor detour into the New York North
mission. See, there are a few bridges in our area and if you don't pay
attention while driving, you will find that you missed the last exit
and there is no way to turn around before reaching the other mission.
On Thursday night, we were headed to pick up a member for a lesson and
Sis Price missed the exit, resulting in crossing a bridge into the
Bronx...and paying $7.50 toll. Luckily, we were able to quickly turn
around once we crossed the bridge. It was quite the adventure, and
although we ended up an hour late to our appointment, we returned safe
and sound ..and had some good laughs about our misfortune. I think
that was a bonding moment for all of us!
But happy 9 months to me this Friday! Holy cow. Halfway? My mission
time left seems relatively short now.
We are preparing a member to go to the temple for her endowments as
well on February 14. The bishop is having us teach her he classes. I
am excited to be able to go with her. What a blessing to go to the
temple! To have it so close.


No comments:
Post a Comment