2.22.2012

40 days.


Well, I'm sure you've heard how some people give up something for 40 days for Lent? Yes. Every year, I have friends who say goodbye to Facebook, guzzle their last can of Coke, or vow to not visit Wendy's again until Easter.

This year, I'm going to participate. For the first time ever.  No, I'm not Catholic. But, everyone can benefit from a challenge. My friend Carter and I are going 40 days without "sweets." Obviously this does not mean any sugar — since even fruit has natural sugar. I'm talking the "bad" sugar...the cakes, brownies, icecream, and cookies. I don't really have "candy" cravings (except peanut m&ms or cadbury eggs...luckily I had my fix at home over the weekend!), but I definitely enjoy baking — and eating — the not-so-good sweets.

So, this will certainly be a challenge. I guess that's the point, right? I joked with my friend that I'd just stocked up on cake mixes & chocolate chips at home over the weekend. Now they will just have to sit at the top of my shelf for a little while. By the time this challenge is over, the semester will nearly be over!

Last night, as an ode to the challenge, I finished off the last piece of key lime pie that my mom & I made over the weekend, and ate the remaining three bites of Girl Scout Thin Mint icecream from my freezer. I just knew those two things wouldn't keep.

Here goes. I'm going to be eating a lot of apples in the meantime!

Are you giving up anything? I challenge you to do it! And post it in the comments if you do. Or, if you don't feel up for a challenge, what would you give up if you did participate in the challenge?

1 comment:

jen said...

good luck giving up sweets! breaking a sugar addiction is HARD. i don't really eat much sugar except for the twice-monthly kiddie ice cream at our favorite shop. i don't plan to give up anything, but I guess if I was Catholic, I would give up watching TV. that seems nearly impossible to me, but I think I'd get a lot of stuff accomplished.