10.22.2013
what is the worth?
Today we met a woman who has been physically abused for years. Though she has been [nearly] killed and is now "in hiding," her positive attitude carries her through the day. She met a member of the church and had attended a few times in the past. When she left, she was able to track down a number and called us.
Abuse of any kind leaves me with a sick-to-my-stomach feeling. There's a heaviness about the subject, and it was hard to listen as she described some of the things she endured. But, looking on the optimistic side, she said her "battle of abuse" helped her believe in God. For some, it would tear down any belief system. I've seen it happen. But, she began to seek Him most during these experiences.
As we sat and spoke with her, I had an undeniable feeling that this woman -- this daughter of God -- had great worth. I pulled out a crisp dollar bill from my wallet and said, "How much is this worth?"
She responded, "It's a dollar bill."
I then crumpled it up into a little ball and repeated the question.
Again she said, "It's a dollar."
Then, I explained to her that though it was crumpled, a little dirty and worn, yes, it still had value. It was still a dollar bill. It still held its worth.
We are like these dollar bills (though we are worth much more than $1 to God, our Heavenly Father). But, though we may be imperfect, though some of us have strayed far from the path or feel unworthy of God's love or the Atonement of Christ, we can all become new again. We can all return to the state of a fresh, crisp dollar bill.
I know that it's true. No matter where you are, no matter what you've done or what's happened to you, change is possible. Growth is possible. We can start again through the power of Christ's Atonement.
Even if you feel unloved, unappreciated, or broken ... you are of great worth.
D&C 18:10 -- "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God."
Labels:
jeffrey r holland,
LDS,
lds mission,
mission,
missionary,
mormon,
nynys,
worth of souls
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What a beautiful story, Cheri! Sometimes I feel like a crumbled dollar bill, but I definitely still have value.
Post a Comment