Hello all! Time is short this week because there is a line of people waiting to use the computers...so, I will not be able to use any additional time. :( But, it's been another blessed week in Riverhead.
First story: John. We were knocking one night and we met a man named John. We talked to him on his porch for at least a half hour, and invited him to the church to watch conference. Well, John called us a few times, making sure he knew the times, place, and what to wear. He said he didn't have any church clothes, but we told him to wear the best he had. Well, Sunday afternoon, he shows up for the first session of conference and he was wearing dress slacks and was looking nice! He explained to us, "Well, I bought a 50cent lotto ticket and then won $80, so I used it to buy these clothes." I said, "You better get your use out of it then and come back next week!" Now, lottery tickets aren't suggested..but how awesome was that? He said he had seen us walking down the street and went inside, thinking, "Oh great...what am I going to do?" and heard the knock at the door. He wasn't going to answer it, but then "something told him" to do it. And he started telling us about how he's been praying to God for years to be closer to Him. Well, I hope that we are able to help him out! We'll meet with him again this week.
Second: We were teaching one of our investigators, Isaura. She hasn't ever been progressing but we've taught her a few times. This week when we were teaching, I followed up on last week's commitment to read the Book of Mormon. Much to our surprise, she said she HAD read, and had read about baptism. I about died of shock! We started talking to her more about 2 Nephi 31 and about the importance of following Jesus Christ. She said she needs to know for herself if it's true (absolutely!) but that was a great step in her process! Also she has a sister who is a member that lives in Utah. Weird!
Umm..I couldn't believe when I was watching conference on Saturday that I recognized people in the choir from my home ward! That was really awesome, and a little touch of home! I couldn't help smiling as I saw families that I knew.
Conference. Wasn't it great? We haven't been able to watch the first session yet because we had a service project, but we'll be watching it this week with our zone. But, I loved, loved, loved President Monson's from Sunday morning. "Will I falter or will I finish?" And the poem he read:
"Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the winds, the stronger the trees."
Isn't that true? Nothing in life (that is WORTH it) comes easy. There is a price for it. Like this mission. Sometimes, it is really, really hard. But vale la pena (worth the pain).
There is so much in store for us if we will but endure :) and build a foundation on Christ. Without Him, we are nothing. I can't believe it's another conference session come and gone! And who knows where I will be serving in April or what will happen in the next 6 months? But each general conference, I feel energized and enthused about the next six months -- reading for the mountains, the blue skies, the rain, and the joys that are to come.
Thanks for all the encouragement as I've been on my mission! It means so much.
We're getting trained this week on Facebook, which I'm super excited for! So, you can watch for that update. And, I think we're going to the temple on Saturday with Elizabeth. Can't wait!
I love you!
--sister peacock
Pictures! You love them, right?
First pics:
PDay activity with the zone & pumpkin carving (Hna Acosta's first time ever)
Second: I might have gotten in a little accident with a concrete barrier and the bottom of our car...luckily Elder Waters and Baker saved the day (in their white shirts, even).
First, isn't that a pretty view? Just down the road from our house! actually, that river is behind our house...and I'm obsessed with fall colors!
Pre-conference french toast breakfast with the elders. I had to do something fun/festive...it's in my blood, okay?
The District enjoying breakfast Sunday morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment