10.20.2013

changing.



This weekend was Stake Conference in the Plainview, New York stake. Last night, one of the most powerful messages I learned was to be MEEK. That's not a word used often in my vocabulary. But, as I've tried to see how I can change, improve, and better myself, I realized being meek is something i need to become.

Meekness does not equal meekness.  I learned that meekness is being humble; it is being teachable. It does not mean that we let people walk all over us or allow ourselves to follow the crowd; that is being weak.

But, when we are meek, we want to be taught in every situation. We ask the Lord what we are to learn and we accept what he is trying to teach us.  I will admit that while I liked school (yes, it's true!), I have a hard time being "taught" when it comes to things I think I already know.

Just ask my roommates or mission companions what happens when we attempt to bake together in the kitchen -- if it's not the way I was taught, it's not the way it "should be."

I think that's how it is at times with spiritual things too. If it's not the way I want or the way I think it should be, sometimes I allow myself to be blinded to what the Lord is trying to say. I refuse to open my eyes and see what is being taught; I close off my heart to the possibilities because I think I know the better way, the best thing for me.

How wrong that is!

I am learning on my mission that humility, for me, isn't easily acquired. But, it is a character trait I am seeking. It's hard and I often feel like I improve a little and then have to start back at the beginning. It's a little frustrating. But, I know through it all, that we can be taught. We can ask the Lord, and if He sees the willingness in us, He will teach us.

As it says in the video, He helps us along day by day. It's not an overnight transformation, but a  process that comes little by little.


No comments: