10.01.2013

Training: Week 2.

We meet again. And it's OCTOBER! I get so excited every time I see a tree with changing leaves. And my companion gets excited EVERY time she sees a squirrel :) No joke. She is so funny. I'm learning a lot about Mexican culture from her. For instance:

-She carries a bottle of Cholula with her in her purse (hot sauce) for everything...including BLTs, potato chips, popcorn, watermelon...yes. True story. And she could easily go through a bottle in one day.
-She eats beans, chicken, turkey, etc. for breakfast. This is something I'm not used to!
-Spicy is not in her vocabulary. It's the way of life :)
-She is so giving!
-She is talented at doing hair and makeup, and volunteers to help me all the time with my hair. So, I've had some pretty awesome braids this week! I don't mind.
-And, most importantly. She knows why she is here. She has a powerful testimony, wants to work hard, and has already captured the members' and investigators' hearts.

This past week, we started working with three new investigators! Yay! And, they were all found through knocking doors. We are also still working with Betty and her two daughters. Last week, her daughters said they wanted to get baptized. I can't explain the power of her 10-year-old daughter. She is amazing. We have to wait until the family could get baptized together, so please pray for them! We need to work with Betty more. She knows that it's good and true, but has said she needs to put it as a priority. Yes.

We had an awesome lesson with Laura too this past week about the Gospel of Christ. I love the gospel of Christ. It's the lesson that talks about all the fundamentals of our gospel! Faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. All of which are made possible through the Atonement. It was a powerful lesson too, and the Spirit was so strong. She is SUCH a prepared investigator. It never ceases to amaze me how she is one who has been prepared to hear this message, at this time, and from us. What a privilege!

On Saturday, we attended the Relief Society broadcast, which I loved. And, it's interesting because Hermana Acosta and I talked after about how we were thinking of certain investigators during the talks -- something I've never experienced before! I can't wait for General Conference. We have a zone service project on Saturday though, so we won't be able to watch those sessions until Friday :( But, at least we can see Sunday's sessions!

Yesterday, I was reflecting on all I've learned in the past six months. Last October during general conference, I made the decision to serve a mission. It wasn't easy or necessarily what I thought I wanted at the time, but I have been able to meet such amazing people. And I hate to think of if I had never met them -- Mirna, Elizabeth, the Bloms, the investigators, and other missionaries. I am strengthening my testimony in ways that could not be possible in any other way. Truly a blessing in my life to prepare me for the future!

We also had interviews with President Calderwood yesterday (which is why I'm writing to you today instead) and I always leave the interviews feeling a boost of confidence and power to work. He is an incredible leader. You don't ever doubt the sincerity or his testimony. And you can feel the love when he speaks to you. We only have interviews every other transfer, so the next time I have an interview will be on transfer 7. Or, in non-missionary terms...I will be halfway through my mission. Time flies.

Also, our mission president had a meeting with all the branch presidencies/bishoprics in the area and he told them some of the new plans (dealing with social media and other things). We will be able to use social media (including Skype), for missionary purposes, within the next two weeks. He said it is a way to share the gospel throughout all the world, even areas where we don't have missionaries. We will also be getting ipads. And, he said to expect to see missionaries in your wards/branches for 6-12 months, and that it is likely to have them start and finish missions in the same area. Crazy, right? President said, "They're seeing that firsthand with you!" So....I think I'll be in Riverhead for awhile!

But, the area is being blessed and Hermana Acosta is a great asset for the Spanish here. And the English. :) Language isn't a barrier because the Spirit is so strong!

Elizabeth also got her limited use temple recommend so we are going to do baptisms with her on Oct. 12! Woohoo! And then I get to go to the temple again the next week for my 6-month anniversary trip. I CAN'T WAIT. I seriously miss the temple so much. For all of you who can go, do it.

Anyway, off to another great week of missionary work! We have our zone activity today: carving pumpkins. And I'm bringing the candy corn. :)

Make sure to watch General Conference! Don't miss out on an opportunity to hear words of living prophets.

I love you!

-Hermana Peacock


Pic 1: Hermano Leon is headed to Utah for a few months to work. He refers to me as "hermana pickup."


Pic 2: Swinging at Laura's new house. Beautiful view!


Pic 3: One of the "new" less actives we started working with ... she was so sweet and excited about our visit that I had to take a photo. Haha.

-On the beach last Pday

-Mirna, me, Amerilis (I think they are going to be best friends) :) 

No comments: