9.26.2013

training: week 1.

Hello family! So...lots of changes this past week, as you know.

On Monday, we had our last "Riverbays District Bonding" before all the changes happened. I can't describe how close of a district we were, but there was really a whole lot of love in it! It was a bittersweet time! And Tuesday, we all decided to get breakfast together before transfer meeting...and then sit together one last time at transfer meeting too. We were really unified, but I'm determined to be unified with the current district as well!

So...my new companion! Well, in training meeting, they have all the new trainees walk into the room and then President Calderwood just announces the name and trainer. I was so nervous! But, my new companion is Hermana Acosta. She was born and raised in Mexico, and recently moved to El Paso, Texas. She is 19, and has a fierce love of the gospel. She doesn't feel comfortable with her English, but she actually knows quite a bit, but I've definitely noticed a change in the past week -- I'm thinking in Spanish like all of the time! But it's fun to hep each other with the languages. Anyway, it really is such a privilege being a trainer...sometimes it's scary too. I mean, I'm helping this missionary rise to her potential! I want to help her become the missionary God sees her to be, and I want to be the trainer that God needs me to be. I think I've said a record number of prayers this week, but we're seeing results. Hna Acosta said that when she walked into the training room, she said, "I hope she's my trainer!" (referring to me). That made me feel happy to know!

But, seriously. I feel so blessed! Since day one, Hna Acosta has borne powerful testimony in lessons, and really wants to work and help the people. We have seen miracles this past week in Riverhead, including FOUR new investigators. And I know that the miracles are just beginning. If we are obedient, they will continue to come.

So, we were teaching Betty and her two daughters this week, and both times we stopped by their house, we were able to teach a lesson to someone else there (2 of our new investigators). Little miracles of being in the in right place at the right time! So, the first time we were there, her friend Flor was walking out when we got there. Well, a few minutes later, Flor walks back in and sat down as we began teaching. She ended up telling us that she had been praying to God and has interest in finding "the true church." She said as she was leaving, she thought to herself, "Why am I leaving? This is an answer to prayer." It was really powerful! And Betty's daughters....they are SO STRONG. They are amazing! Last night we stopped by to see if they had read and prayed. Renata (she's 10) said that she had prayed and feels "joy" but hadn't gotten an answer. I explained to her, as it says in Moroni 7:13 that anything good is from God. And I asked her what she thought that meant. She said, "I guess God is telling me it's the true church?" :)))
I can't describe the feeling in the lessons with them...but last night Mirna came with us too and she said she felt it. She knew that they would join the church one day. Anway, we hope they can come to church this week!

We also started teaching a mom and her daughter, who is a single mother. We met them at the culture night my first weekend in Riverhead. And then they saw the elders at Walmart and remembered us and wanted a visit. So, we're building a relationship with them right now too.

The new missionaries in our district are great; we even played tennis one morning last week. Joining me in Riverhead is Elder Hogge, who served here for three months last year, and Elder Pincock, who is only on his second transfer.Yeah, Pincock and Peacock :) Fun! But, it was weird in Branch Council because people kept referring to me as the "old missionary." When did that happen? Yet, somehow I've been in Riverhead for SIX months! Oh, and our new zone leader is Elder Waters...and I went to school and was an ambassador with him at SUU. That's so fun! We had a great time catching up on Saturday at a service project (painting a house for 7 hours! Fun times :) )

The leaves are starting to change and it's super beautiful here. I love the cool weather too. It gets dark pretty early, but we're keeping busy and working hard! I cannot wait for women's conference this weekend and tehn GENERAL CONFERENCE. AH! I love it so so much.

Oh, and as for my Sister Hale? She is living quite the different missionary life now...in Jamaica, Queens. She actually got "blinded in" with her companion, meaning neither missionary was serving there. They haven't had spanish sisters there in a long time, so they're starting new. But, she'll be great! And, our old District Leader Elder Nelson also got transferred there as her new district leader. So, big changes!

But, life is good. The work is true, everyone. And just to share a great scripture I read in John 8 yesterday:

"And he that sent me is with me; the Father hath not left me alone .. if ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed & ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."

This gospel is the truth. Test it out for yourself. Then be His disciple.

les quiero!

-hermana peacock

Photo 1: The DISTRICT (for the last time).


Photo 2: Trying out Slo Jacks. Good chili!


Photo 3: Hale, Peacock, Spencer & Baker


Photo 4: Mi nueva companera, Hna Acosta!


1: Elder Cabeza: GOING HOME! Crazy. He was my first zone leader.

2: My hair got a little painted during service (Iw as painting an attic room and kept standing up and hitting my head...)


3:  I'll ALWAYS be a Tbird :)


4: Mirna, Sister Hale, Sister Rivas (the teacher) and me in our first temple prep class :))

No comments: