I've been on a quinoa kick -- well, I've only had it a handful of times, but I've pinned many recipes! When I came upon a recipe for cookies that used quinoa, I had to try it. And they became a quick favorite. And, they are actually pretty healthy (as far as cookies are concerned).
Ingredients:
2 c. whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 c. brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 c. applesauce (I used unsweetened)
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 c. raisins
2 1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
1/2 c. cooked & cooled quinoa
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I didn't have semi, so I used milk chocolate)
Directions:
![]() |
| from start to glorious finish |
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper (or spray, in my case).
2. Whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and baking soda. Set aside. Cream together butter and brown sugar until smooth (about 3 minutes). Add in eggs and vanilla. Add the applesauce & mix. Stir in raisins.
3. Slowly add dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients & mix until combined. Stir in oats, quinoa, and chocolate chips.
4. Spoon about a tablespoon of dough onto baking sheet. Bake cookies 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are just barely set (for me, this was 10 minutes). Remove cookies from sheet & cool on wire rack.
Try to resist eating the whole batch. You can even freeze some for later!
**I made 24 cookies, chilled the dough, and then made the rest into bars (I might have eaten one for breakfast). I think it would yield around 36 cookies. I am also going to try this again, using less brown sugar, and perhaps adding white chocolate chips, walnuts, almonds, etc. Oh, the possibilities!


1 comment:
hi um.. your summer seems sooooo great! I love all your recipes and nutritious/healthy foods you make and I love all our cute little adventures and all the things you do! You inspire me!!!
So happy you're enjoying your summer:)
I want to try one of those cookies next semester though! I'm gonna hold you to that!
Post a Comment