7.05.2012

the tradition.

Growing up, my mom would always make a flag cake on the Fourth of July. It was a sight to see. She is very meticulous in general, but especially when it comes to baking (or sewing). We would always listen to Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" while cutting the cake. So, of course I have to listen to that song every year (and include it here for you) but this year I decided to also make the cake myself since I couldn't be at home to celebrate the holiday & enjoy it with my dear mother.

There are variations using fresh fruit, but we always had pie filling cherries & blueberries on our cake. I was going to try to use fresh blueberries & strawberries, but when I went to Walmart the night before, all the fresh blueberries were gone! It still tasted good, even if it wasn't as pretty as my mom has perfected it to be.

decorating the cake -- excuse my somewhat disheveled look :)
the finished product. i need frosting classes. Ha! First attempt, remember.
Cutting the cake --> I used funfetti red & blue cake mix.
I love traditions. I love these memories of my family, our pool & BBQ in NC, and listening to that song every year ... the year someone threw a firecracker & it burned a hole in our trampoline (my mom wasn't happy about that) ... the year my brother's friends (or my brother & his friends) stole all the mini flags from the neighbors' yards & assembled them into our front yard ... the ward members & neighbors that would come to our house. Such great memories. I'm glad I was able to carry that tradition on & look forward to doing it when I'm married & have kids one day.

Do you have any fun traditions?

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Looks like you did a great job on the cake!

jen said...

I do not remember the flag incident. And my comments aren't really going to add anything since my traditions are your traditions. Generally we are with Jon's family for the holiday, but since we live a few hours away now, going down for a mid-week celebration just doesn't make sense. I did make a flag cake for the first time this year. I'm not a huge fan of frosting in general, so I used raspberries in powdered sugar to get the white stripes. Still a big hit. And yes, listened to Lee Greenwood while I pretended to cry like mom.
You know, once Mom is gone, we'll probably do this and actually cry and then our kids will make fun of us.

Karen said...

I love traditions also and thank my parents for the traditions they passed on to me. I actually cried this year when I listened once again to Lee Greenwood, even though I was home by myself. I also remembered my mom saying she could never see a flag pass by and not cry cause she had lost a brother in the war, and how my dad always made sure we went to the fireworks. Even though by myself for the holidays, I still enjoyed some of the traditions that have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.