10.05.2011

it's been on my mind.

Something has been bothering me lately and I can think of no better way to get my point across besides blogging about it (or talking to the same person over & over about how irritated I am. Sorry Kelly!).

Why do people hold grudges? Why can't we all just get along? Even if someone does something to upset us, what good does it to do to hold that in for months and months and even years?

Today in Institute, we were reading this talk. And this paragraph caught my eye:

"...That attitude (taking offense) is somewhat like a man being hit by a club. Offended, he takes up a club and beats himself over the head with it all the days of his life. How foolish! How sad! That kind of revenge is self-inflicting. If you have been offended, forgive, forget it, and leave it alone."

So, challenge time. Let's all try to get along. You don't have to be someone's best friend. But we should all be able to tolerate one another and get over ourselves enough to forgive them.

That's all.

5 comments:

Jenessa said...

I know what you mean Cheri. And the grudges people hold hurt the people that care about them too, even if they're not the one the grudge is against! ...if that made sense. I wonder sometimes if they don't even know they're holding a grudge. They need to just turn it over to the Lord and be happy. :)

jen said...

Hm. where did this come from, I wonder? :) don't worry, I'm not one to hold a grudge.

kelly anne said...

haha i love you cheri. that is an excellent quote! :)

Aaron said...

That quote is excellent. So many people (myself included at times) do this, and it's completely self-defeating. Let's all move along!

Cheri said...

Jenessa, it's true! Sometimes they don't realize they are hurting a grudge but it's hurting others around them.

And Aaron, it IS self-defeating and I can't say that I never hold them...but I am certainly going to try to be better!