9.12.2012

the roommate bakers.


Amanda and the vegetables from the backyard garden!
With zucchini, tomatoes, and squash out of our ears, Amanda and I embarked on a baking journey on Saturday.
First, we used zucchini for brownies. Yes, brownies. And they are delicious. You can't even taste the zucchini, so don't stick your nose up at the idea.

Then, we made zucchini spice bread. Also delicious. In turn, I was way too excited for fall after the smells filling our kitchen Saturday afternoon.

We had buckets of tomatoes. Salsa? Good idea. After a quick trip to the store for a can of black beans & a can of corn, we made a variation of "cowboy caviar" & also a spicier salsa with jalapeño peppers, but also peach. They were both delicious. And now they are both gone.

Finally, we cooked up a spaghetti squash for dinner. I had never had it before ... um, yum! Who doesn't like veggies? You are really missing out on some finer things in life.

Hours of baking, chatting, and laughing with one of my best friends ... and some great food too? It was a perfect Saturday. Amanda is moving to Las Vegas in the near future (to be with her sweet fiance), and I'm embracing all these last, little bonding moments before she leaves.

This might be a tangent from being Betty Crockers, but I feel so lucky to have such a great friend & roommate. It's those nights that, even when I intend to fall asleep before 11, we end up talking until midnight. It's those half delirious comments. It's the little heart-to-heart conversations we have that make me realize how blessed I am for having amazing friends.

And sometimes, it's the moments when you have a friend who will mix up recipes, not measure everything exactly, and allow you to substitue wheat flour for the white flour :)
cowboy caviar & jalapeno/peach salsa
trying out the zucchini brownies. yum!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I now have weepy eyes. I loved that day...Betty would be proud! I'll miss all of those moments too...especially the ones including tucking of tucking my cold feet under yours and witnessing your extreme fridge cleaning. Not to mention... I'll be missing that orange pillow.