9.18.2012

Miss Congeniality

I have really taken this "live up my senior year" to heart. As in, I auditioned for the Miss SUU pageant yesterday. Well, I got the phone call last night and I made the cut! So, I will be performing next Tuesday. It's not a scholarship pageant anymore; it's just a fun homecoming event.

This means I have to ... find a dress, perfect my talent, practice interview questions, and learn a choreographed dance number with the other 7 contestants.

Now, this situation makes me laugh because:

1. I am not a pageant girl. Pageant girls tend to be dancers, classical pianists, opera singers, or cheerleaders. In my mind.

2. Even though I don't get nervous singing or talking in front of a large crowd, performing a group number or walking across the stage in a formal gown gives me butterflies.

3. For the past two years, someone from my house has won the pageant. This is how it all got started, with Runge telling me someone needed to compete. Well, I joked around at first that I would participate, and then actually went forward. She is very excited to have a roommate in the pageant again ... I keep telling her to not get her hopes up.

4. This status on Facebook elicited the greatest number of "likes" than I've ever had (I think). I believe this is because people are shocked.

5. My boss Kenley said (after I tried out yesterday), "Wait. You are doing a beauty pageant? You? You seem like a girl that's down to earth ... and is like an AP student."


So, here's to new adventures! I'm constantly saying that on this blog, aren't I? My apologies.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

This is fantastic! You'd better have someone taking pictures and getting video, so you can share it (along with the results) afterwards!

Katelin said...

I am so excited for you Cheri!! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Ah you are going to be great!
ps. congrats on the half! you are incredible.

Jenessa said...

This sounds like so much fun!! I'm way excited for you and I'll be cheering for you...from San Diego. :)