As you can see, I've sent a lot of pictures today, so this email might be a little shorter (since time is almost up at the library!), but I've now hit my 3-month mark! And officially finished the 12-week training program. HOORAH!
I made a list of random things this week to tell you:
1. Glasses apparently make me look older, or so the members tell me. I usually get that I look "about 17" but with glasses, I'm "in the 20s."
2. It's hot & humid here. Sister Hale prefers the cold, but Sister Sandberg and I would take the heat over rain or snow. But, I learned that wearing glasses + sweat is not a good combo. They kind of slide off my nose!
3. Going to sleep BEFORE 10:30 curfew is bliss. There have been a few days when I'm ready for bed by 9:45 and it's like heaven. Also, Sis. S is an early bird and for her, the mission is staying up late :) Cute, right? I told her how going to bed at 11 was early for me pre mission.
4. You really feel intense joy/sorrow as a missionary. When people don't keep commitments, when you have a good conversation on the street with someone, when you hear someone say they "need a change," when people decide to stop having the lessons, etc. It's been an interesting experience to feel all of these emotions -- sometimes within hours of each other!
Now, some details about this last week ...
We had a big fourth of July breakfast with our branch and the Hampton Bays branch. It was a lot of fun, and we sang patriotic songs. The missionaries also sang Amazing Grace while an elder played it on guitar. And, while we were eating breakfast, I hear a familiar tune on the piano...suddenly I realized Matt (investigator) was playing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA." It made me feel like home & I was so happy that he was playing it! We all circled around and sang our hearts out. I of course thought of the home traditions we have & was so happy to have that little miracle! And, driving home that night, we saw fireworks! Another little blessing for missionary life.
Another exciting moment -- we had about 5 minutes left until curfew one night and Sister Sandberg said, "Hey, let's knock on a door." So, we picked the house and ended up having a 20-minute conversation with a woman named Cindy. She seems interested & has invited us back to learn more. We have been told a few times this week that we just "seem happy" and Cindy specifically mentioned our smiles. It was good to hear that people notice a difference. It's the gospel, people! We hope she progresses. Pray for her!
We also did a "street sweep" this week. Basically, we had signs "honk if you like mormons", "smile! God loves you!" and a "Free Book of Mormon!" sign. We had a table set up with pamphlets, pass along cards, books, etc. Our District Leader, Elder Nelson and his companion, Elder Martherus joined us, along with the Riverhead elders. We went to a popular park by a busy road and were there for two hours. It was so fun! We talked to everyone, made a few contacts, and got a lot of honks. I was loving life :) And the sun! It was encouraging to see the example of other missionaries too! Elder Nelson would approach ANYONE, even if they were running with headphones or on a bike. He still gave them a pass along card. I'm learning a lot from others about ways I can improve and I love to set these goals each week on how to be better.
In my personal study this week, I've been studying my patriarchal blessing, along with the scriptures & have made these goals for myself:
1. Smile & be happy now.
2. Use simplicity and boldness in testifying.
3. Set foundations for the future.
I encourage you all to read your patriarchal blessing! I actually read mine everyday, and it brings such peace and guidance.
Well, so much for a short email, right? I guess I was a journalist...
I love you!
-sister peacock
pictures:
1: honk if you like mormons
I made a list of random things this week to tell you:
1. Glasses apparently make me look older, or so the members tell me. I usually get that I look "about 17" but with glasses, I'm "in the 20s."
2. It's hot & humid here. Sister Hale prefers the cold, but Sister Sandberg and I would take the heat over rain or snow. But, I learned that wearing glasses + sweat is not a good combo. They kind of slide off my nose!
3. Going to sleep BEFORE 10:30 curfew is bliss. There have been a few days when I'm ready for bed by 9:45 and it's like heaven. Also, Sis. S is an early bird and for her, the mission is staying up late :) Cute, right? I told her how going to bed at 11 was early for me pre mission.
4. You really feel intense joy/sorrow as a missionary. When people don't keep commitments, when you have a good conversation on the street with someone, when you hear someone say they "need a change," when people decide to stop having the lessons, etc. It's been an interesting experience to feel all of these emotions -- sometimes within hours of each other!
Now, some details about this last week ...
We had a big fourth of July breakfast with our branch and the Hampton Bays branch. It was a lot of fun, and we sang patriotic songs. The missionaries also sang Amazing Grace while an elder played it on guitar. And, while we were eating breakfast, I hear a familiar tune on the piano...suddenly I realized Matt (investigator) was playing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA." It made me feel like home & I was so happy that he was playing it! We all circled around and sang our hearts out. I of course thought of the home traditions we have & was so happy to have that little miracle! And, driving home that night, we saw fireworks! Another little blessing for missionary life.
Another exciting moment -- we had about 5 minutes left until curfew one night and Sister Sandberg said, "Hey, let's knock on a door." So, we picked the house and ended up having a 20-minute conversation with a woman named Cindy. She seems interested & has invited us back to learn more. We have been told a few times this week that we just "seem happy" and Cindy specifically mentioned our smiles. It was good to hear that people notice a difference. It's the gospel, people! We hope she progresses. Pray for her!
We also did a "street sweep" this week. Basically, we had signs "honk if you like mormons", "smile! God loves you!" and a "Free Book of Mormon!" sign. We had a table set up with pamphlets, pass along cards, books, etc. Our District Leader, Elder Nelson and his companion, Elder Martherus joined us, along with the Riverhead elders. We went to a popular park by a busy road and were there for two hours. It was so fun! We talked to everyone, made a few contacts, and got a lot of honks. I was loving life :) And the sun! It was encouraging to see the example of other missionaries too! Elder Nelson would approach ANYONE, even if they were running with headphones or on a bike. He still gave them a pass along card. I'm learning a lot from others about ways I can improve and I love to set these goals each week on how to be better.
In my personal study this week, I've been studying my patriarchal blessing, along with the scriptures & have made these goals for myself:
1. Smile & be happy now.
2. Use simplicity and boldness in testifying.
3. Set foundations for the future.
I encourage you all to read your patriarchal blessing! I actually read mine everyday, and it brings such peace and guidance.
Well, so much for a short email, right? I guess I was a journalist...
I love you!
-sister peacock
pictures:
1: honk if you like mormons
2: the elders of the district + matt, the investigator
3: my face after a little accident ... we were walking out of a house to our car, the ground sloped, it was dark and i couldn't see...so i completely biffed it and my stuff went flying.well, i noticed my shirt was covered in dirt/grass, which i didn't see until we got home in the light. you can't really see it here!
4: fourth of july!
Photo 1: We drove to the end of the island last week bc we had spare time on PDay. This was in Orient Point.
Photo 2: I'm weird
Photo 3: Decorating cookies for the senior center last week
Photo 4: Me & Sis Sandberg
1. Companeras
2. Sister Krueger (bishop's wife), me, Sister Ostler (she's awesome and reminds me of mom)
3. We're goofy.
4. Frozen water jug. It was hot.
No comments:
Post a Comment