7.29.2013

Happy Pioneer Day!

Yes, I celebrated it in my own way this past week ... and even text members here (not from Utah) to share the joy with them!

So, this past week is hard to sum up! We had interviews with Pres. Calderwood on Tuesday, which always results in feeling the best ever & learning so much! He taught me a scripture from D&C 93:12-14. It talks about Jesus Christ receiving not of the fullness at FIRST, but grace for grace. It was an "AHA!" moment. He applied it to us as missionaries, but it can be seen in anyone. We aren't expected to be perfect tomorrow or overnight. We, like Christ, have to receive info, knowledge, and progression "grace by grace" or "line upon line." How wonderful it is that God doesn't EXPECT us to reach that in a day. He is patient and loving. He is kind. We have to measure ourselves with this in mind -- that Satan uses discouragement, but we can overcome that with the Atonement. The Atonement bridges the gap between where we are and where we can be. I know that when we use the Atonement, we are when we need to be. I am so grateful to have this refining time, to learn, grow, and improve. We are all really learning "precept upon precept" and receiving that fullness not at first, but little by little. BE PATIENT WITH YOURSELVES! It was also tender as we prayed at the close of interviews to hear President Calderwood pray, "I thank thee for sending THIS sister to this mission." God is aware of us.

Tuesday night, we had sister exchanges and I stayed in Riverhead with an English sister from a nearby area. We were sitting in a meeting and I had a strong impression that we needed to go visit  a on-again/off-again investigator. Her name is Isabella, and we haven't been able to teach her in over a month. She goes through phases of wanting lessons, of wanting the gospel, and then not wanting it. I had the strongest prompting "Go visit Isabella." She hadn't always welcomed stop-by visits from us in the past; sometimes, she seems annoyed when we drop in unexpected. But, we went to her house and she seemed very sad and empty.

She proceeded to tell us of the negative thoughts she had been feeling (which are nothing new for her; she has been in hospitals before for suicide watch and has had drug problems). She is only 14 years old. She told us she had been thinking suicidal thoughts again, and it is the worst when she is alone, which she happened to be. I was thinking, while we were there, of what we talked about -- about charity. I have never felt it so strong as I did Tuesday night. Even Sis Howard talked to me after about how she had felt this undeniable love for Isabella, even never meeting her before. We stayed there for an hour, talking, letting her express her feelings, and singing together. I realized, again, that we never know how we will be used as instruments in God's hands, but when we listen, He asks us to help our brothers and sisters. It was painful to think of how low she was feeling about herself because she truly could not see her worth or potential. But, her spirits were a little higher when we left and she let us know later how much that visit meant. I felt very grateful that the Lord trusted us to act on the prompting to visit her when she was in need.

I am really learning about charity. Each time I have these experiences, I feel that responsibility of being an instrument, of listening to promptings & acting on them. I had such incredible love for her  though -- I knew she was a daughter of God and had incredible value. It's incredible to feel that for these people here.

We've also been working with a less-active, Corrine. She isn't willing to "change" yet but hopefully we can continue working with her to see the need for change as she does recognize we were sent from God. She has quite the story, but I know she can do it, if she has the desire.

We've continued teaching Fernando and Osmar, and had a fun Saturday afternoon playing "chino ball" with them and the elders, along with Jaiden Blom (a youth in the ward who has taught with us too). They still aren't willing to commit to baptism because they feel it is too soon, but pray for them. Pray that their hearts will be open to it. They are truth seekers and I can see it as they ask questions. They're just afraid of that change in their life.

Last update? We are no longer teaching Evelin and Marvin :( Well, let me rephrase that. Marvin feels pressured and doesn't want the lessons; Evelin again came to church and says she wants us to teach her, but he won't be there for the lessons. It was hard to hear that, but hopefully, she can continue to progress in the gospel. She said she likes church and the feeling there. It's also difficult because our goal is to teach families. But, we will see what happens. Que sera, sera.

Other news? We have transfers this weekend! Yep, it's already week 6. So, next week, I'll let you know if there are any changes! Also, I've been given a new nickname by the Elder Nelson (the district leader). He now refers to me as "Pavo!" short for pavoreal. I think I like it!

Anyway, I hope you're all having a fantastic week! The work is progressing slowly, but I know we are making a difference here. If I ever forget that, the Bloms point out that we have made a difference in their family, and that helps us remember we are doing our part here!

Happy Birthday this week to: mom, Jen, Sam Taylor, and Kamilla Okey!

-sister pavo

1 comment:

Blom said...

WHAT A GREAT MISSIONARY !!!