midnighted: a term used when a missionary is called by the President and informed he/she will be transferred within the next 24 hours. read on to find out the details.
Well, so much has happened this last week that it has both seemed incredibly long & short at the same time. I don't understand mission time. We are on the 4th week of this transfer already! We began teaching THREE new investigators this week! What a blessing, after an entire transfer of trying to find, but not having investigators. We felt super blessed! And, they all happened the same day! We are now teaching:
-Evelin: She is Spanish and has been to several of the activities, along with her husband and three kids. She is friends with many members here, and lives next door to one family in the branch. We began teaching her and hope that we can meet with her and husband this week. Her husband has come to church, but she is more shy and has not been to Sacrament meeting yet.
-Fernando & Osmar: These are 15-and-16 year-old boys who had been previously taught by the missionaries last summer. We saw their name in our area org records and decided to give it a try again. They seem to be very receptive. Their parents don't believe in organized religion, but think it's important for their children. But, they always allow us to teach in their home and are present during the lessons, so we hope the parents' hearts will eventually be softened as well. At the close of our second lesson, Osmar offered a very sincere prayer. It is a touching thing to hear that as a missionary!
We also had a great lesson with the Blom Family. We are working on our "Member Missionary Training" program and gave them Lesson 3 (How to Begin Teaching) this past week. We taught them how to find ways to share the gospel in everyday situations. Bro. Blom expressed how the lessons we have taught each week have specifically helped him in the situations at work with sharing the gospel, which was AWESOME to hear. We are using them as our "guinea pig" family but it has been successful so far.
On Friday we had Zone Training Meeting, and one of the workshops was on enduring to the end. As I sat there, I realized that, yes, we do have to endure to the end. But we do NOT have to SUFFER until the end. This life is to have joy. So often we see people that are just sad. They have no light. They think they have no purpose. But that is entirely untrue. As we endure with a positive eternal perspective, find joy in service, and are diligent unto obedience, I know that it will not be "suffering" until the end. I also felt very strongly that while we can expect adversity in our lives, we can just as much expect blessings.
Saturday we had another Street Sweep. We had "mormon.org" signs, along with the same ones we used last time. It was again a time to talk to EVERYONE, testify simply of the truth, and make people aware of who we are. We had many people accepting pass along cards, stopping by the table, etc. While we were at the street sweep, we received a call from President Calderwood. We thought it was about Sis Sandberg's visa...but, surprise! Sis Sandberg was emergency transferred to Patchogue, an area in our zone about 20 minutes away. There was a trio there, but one sister got her visa and another was sick and going home. So, after finding out (and having dinner with the Blom family), she packed up and got things in order. We had to drop her off Sunday night. It was quite unexpected. I knew the day would come when she would get her visa...but I assumed we'd be together until then! She's actually going to an all-Spanish area as well, a Spanish branch, etc. I know it just shows how strong she is to be transferred, still in training, in another language, to an experience entirely different. It was hard for me, I'll admit. I was more than sad to see her leave. But, I was able to receive a blessing from my district leader and I was comforted to know that the Lord puts us where he needs us. I know there is still work for me to do here in Riverhead. I was also nervous because I've been in a trio since arriving to New York, but Sister Hale and I had a good talk on the drive back last night, and I know we can continue working hard together. I will miss Sister Sandberg and her contagious laugh and smile, but I know that I was surely blessed to work with her for 9 weeks! And the work continues :)
Also, we had a less active youth at church on Sunday, which was AWESOME! Brendley is 15 and we have been working on and off with their family since before I came here. None of the family is active, but Brendley seems to have a special something about him. We called again upon the Blom family, and they accepted the offer to give him a ride. I'm so grateful we can count on the people here to help us! It was so exciting to see Brendley there at church, and to hear him express interest in coming back, in youth conference, scout camp, etc.
Finally, we had dinner with Mirna last night. She continues to be a light in this branch and now has a calling! :) She said her faith is now stronger than it's ever been and it's because of us. I said, "No, we are just instruments in His hands. But they're His hands and His work." She is going through some big struggles right now, but her faith is unshaken. She said she wakes up happy everyday and is so grateful to have the gospel back in her life.
Well, like I said...a crazy busy week & hopefully another one coming up :) Being busy is a goooood feeling as a missionary!
love you all!
-sister peacock
Sorry, I forgot the awesome photos from this week :) And i forgot to mention what we did last week for PDAY! We went to the ocean ... and some of the missionaries in our district built a legit temple sand castle. It was cool!
Photos 1 & 2: the ocean :)
Photo 3: Matching shirts with Sandberg and the elders' investigator Matt who ... BIG news! He has a baptism date! Yay! Aug. 10 :)
Photo 4: Me proposing to a creepy dragon statue on the side of the road.
No comments:
Post a Comment