12.20.2011

my tale of wisdom teeth removal.

LONG STORY (SKIP AHEAD FOR PHOTOS & VIDEO)
Alright, so I've been home a few hours & what else is a girl supposed to do on the day of getting her wisdom teeth out except for blog about the experience?

I went to get x-rays yesterday & the appointment was already set up to remove them today. They were still under the gums, but my dentist said now was as good of time as ever. Better now before the roots grow, he said. Because my dentist was performing the surgery, I wouldn't be "put under"; rather, I would just be numbed. The assistant suggested I bring my iPod (boy am I grateful for that suggestion).

So, let's be honest. I was a LITTLE bit nervous this morning. But, iPod in hand, I get ready for my wisdom teeth to be removed. The dentist proceeds to start giving me shots to numb my entire jaw. Well, as he gives me a shot for my upper jaw, the shot hits a blood vessel. Ouch. Try again. This time, it hit a nerve, which caused a shock. I was more than freaked out about that, especially because for 3-4 minutes after, I felt dizzy and couldn't see straight out of that one eye. Let's just say ... I was shaking a bit & nervous.

But, then it was time to get started. So, the iPod went on (it was definitely blasting more loudly than I'd ever listened to it before in order to tune out the drone from the instruments) with an array of artists that I'm sure the dentist & his hygienest enjoyed listening to — Justin Bieber Christmas, Iyaz, Party Rock Anthem, Maroon 5, Brandon Heath, and Hilary Weeks. I told you ... it was quite a mix. My feet were just tapping along to the sounds.

The top two came out relatively easy. But ... then it was time for the bottom. Apparently there was bone they had to cut through & then because the tooth wasn't coming out, it had to be cut into pieces. The numbness was starting to wear out, so the dentist gave me 4 more shots for my lower jaw. Nearly an hour later, the tooth was finally removed! On to the next tooth. I just kept saying prayers in my head that it wouldn't take as long. They gave me more shots before they started & although the same process had to be repeated of removing bone & cutting the tooth, it didn't take as long. The only trouble I had at the end was the fact that the dentist kept asking me to open my mouth "a little wider." Well, for one, I couldn't tell how wide I was opening it. And two, after 2+ hours, my mouth was sore. I could not keep it open!

The following thoughts swirled through my mind during the nearly 3-hour process:

"How did people do this before having medicine?"
"I should find out the history of getting wisdom teeth out ... who discovered that they need to be removed? When was that?" 
"My lips feel huge!"
"When I have a baby one day, I will definitely take advantage of the epidural."
"I'm glad i don't have a cold sore right now."
"Focus on the words of the song, not the pressure."
"If thou shall endure it well, thou shalt be exalted on high." (my personal favorite that made me crack a few smiles)

Anyway, my cheeks are gradually swelling, the numbness is wearing off, and the Loritab is kicking in. Enjoy these before & after pictures, and the video that I took in the car on the way home, when everything I said just sounded completely weird to me.



Before & after (that is really me trying to smile) 
Right outside of the dentist office. I was able to smile a little more this time.

And, the best:


For an update on DAY 2, click here.

4 comments:

jen said...

ah, wisdom teeth removal. fun fun stuff. they still had medicine back in the day, it just wasn't the good stuff you get now. :)
enjoy all the ice cream!

Katelin said...

hahah oh my gosh you are a trooper. I am scared to death to get mine out and I won't do it any other way than to be put out. You are great. Ha I just love it. Glad you're still alive;)
ps. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Aaron said...

ahahaha I love how your mom just laughs at you.

Amanda said...

Haha Cheri!! I love love this! Even with swollen cheeks, you're still adorable! On of my favorite of your thoughts was "I'm so glad I don't have a cold sore right now" Haha cracks me up!