8.19.2009

time for an update?

Hello all.

I'm just sitting here at my place in Cedar. I can't believe I'm officially a "college student". I even got my T-card (student ID) today. That's pretty official, right? Today is my third day here, and it's getting better and easier each day.

My mom was an amazing help to me on Monday. She came down, and spent all day (literally) helping me unpack, coordinate everything, and then made multiple trips to Walmart for things I'd forgotten, and in some cases, just wanted (like the adorable 6-picture frame now hanging above my bed). She also stocked me up on some essential groceries. :) hooray!

Tuesday my adventure at the University Journal started. We had a staff meeting and I got two assignments! It's definitely a quicker pace than the TX was in high school, but I think it'll be fun nonetheless. I just finished up the first article (and deadline isn't even until 10 pm. woo) and then the second article is due tomorrow morning.

I feel like Sabrina (the teenage witch). I think I got a lot of things from her. Examples? I love Massachusetts (and that's where she lived) and she was a journalist....ahem. And I remember an episode where she was writing a story and it was almost the deadline and she fell asleep on her laptop. The next morning she woke up and the whole story said "Zabrina Spellman" all over. Or something akin to that. Anyway, I got sidetracked. Sorry.

So that was yesterday. I met another roommate. There are 6 of us here. Brook is a junior and Sam, Kira and Megan are all freshmen. We are still awaiting the arrival of the last girl, Marie. No one knows who she is.

I've been getting a lot of exercise walking to and from campus each day, but I love the tree-lined streets and so I don't mind. I might when I'm lugging some books, but oh well :) I also went running last night...it was glorious! I had amazing energy.

Today I had another meeting for the paper, and then I went to help out some other freshmen move into the dorms and "freshmen housing" with the rest of the SUUSA folks. It was fun to see familiar faces of those I'd met when I came down earlier.

Anyway, this is a super long post. I apologize! Tonight our "flight school" kicks off with a presentation and then a "tye-dye" night. Hopefully I meet a lot of cool people!

Until next time, here is a pic of my room!
{notice the cinderblocks? they create lovely storage. and then there is my blue frame, the fantastic orange pillowcase and vase on the bookshelf, also notice my radical owl?)

{c}

1 comment:

jen said...

your story about Sabrina made me laugh. nice comparisons. glad you are enjoying college already and jumping right into things. i think you're going to do great! be sure to post your new address on the family website so you can get care packages!