11.03.2007

Running is...

I've heard that running is mostly in the mind. I never believed it. I have ran cross country and track for multiple years, and I still would listen to the pain, and try and convince myself that people who said it was 'all in the mind' were just positive people. But, today, I could feel a headache approaching (for about the tenth time this week!) and so, I decided to go for a run. I hadn't been since the region cross country meet. Actually, I went running during a hike on Monday (see picture- that's me resting...sort of), but I hadn't been "running, running." Anyway, I started out going on a course we like to call the 'tempo run' (sometimes confused with 'temple' run, which would be horrendously longer). Then, when I got the the street where I would normally turn to head home, I kept going instead. I was approaching the chain of fast-food venues that normally make me nauseous when I'm running,when lo and behold, I catch sight of a fellow peer. But, he was more than an average Joe peer, he was the "Drew" in the 'Teardrops On My Guitar' song (by Taylor Swift) with his girlfriend, and a few others. If you haven't heard that song, then you are probably confused, so I recommend checking youtube or something. Better yet, I will just post a video on here of it for YOUR convenience (who you are, I'm not sure...). Well, after nodding, giving a brief wave, and trying to sound like I could breathe just fine, called out, "Hey guys." Then, of course the only light that had to turn red so I couldn't keep going, did. I kept myself from turning around and looking at the happy group date going on. As soon as the flashing pedestrian appeared on the crosswalk signal, I took off like a rocket. And I didn't stop until I was done. Yay! Maybe running is a lot in your mind- I normally would have stopped! I dont think I've suddenly become and optimistic person. But, I realized my greatest motivation in running- seeing the guy you like with his girlfriend...anger! But, hey, my headache is gone.

No comments: