9.29.2014

18 months.

Well.

This is it, folks -- the final email I will write as a full-time missionary.

As cliche as it sounds (and as much as I never thought it would be me saying this), the time did go by so fast. There were times when it seemed to crawl -- times that were hard and trying. Times of discouragement and doubt. But, it all seems a blur now. Looking back, the good definitely overrides the bad. The people I've met and come to love run through my mind. What would my life be like without their part in my story? Who would I be? I will be forever grateful I came on a mission. It has changed my life -- it has changed me.

This week has definitely been the best week of my mission. We worked hard and had faith and we have seen miracle upon miracle this transfer, but especially this week. I was reminded of this scripture yesterday in sacrament meeting. "How great reason have we to rejoice; for could we have supposed when we started from [Plainview or insert New York] that God would have granted unto us such great blessings?"(Alma 26:1). That entire chapter sums up my feelings --"I cannot say the smallest part of what I feel."

A little rundown of the week ...

Tuesday, I went to the temple with the other 12 departing missionaries and President and Sister Calderwood. What a wonderful experience to be in the celestial room with them! It was a very spiritual time and a time of reflection. I thought back on all my past companions, areas, and people I've met or taught. My heart filled with gratitude! After the temple, we ate dinner at Carnegie Deli (the tradition). I ordered a rueben (all of the sandwiches there are notoriously large) and took most of it home. We also ordered cheesecake. It was delicious! After we returned to the mission office, I had my departing interview with President Calderwood. That was a sacred time! I love my mission president. He certainly has inspired me! He also committed me to read the Book of Mormon daily for the rest of my life, promising if I did that I would not fall away. Challenge accepted!

Wednesday, we went to the temple to do baptisms with three sisters from our branch. One hadn't been in more than a year. It was great to be there with them and to see their sweet smiles in the the temple. We started our final exchange of the transfer after the temple trip and Sister Cook joined me. She is an amazing teacher! We taught Nick about tithing and fasting and then went to our volleyball night. Thursday, we finished our exchange and had institute. Friday, our sweet Shayna met with President Calderwood to resolve some concerns she had. After the interview, she told us she wanted to get baptized October 12. I screamed. I was so happy she had found her answer. I know we had to commit her first for Sept. 21 so she could find this answer. Prayer and fasting work. Saturday, we went to the temple and Heather received her endowment. I love Heather. It was great to be there with her! Then we had a stake icecream social before the womens' broadcast, which was a tender mercy because I got to see people from Riverhead and Terryville. Sunday, we met with Nick before church. We wanted to talk about baptism again and bring up October 12, the original date we extended two weeks ago. Well, towards the end of the lesson, Nick says, "So, I am really excited to get baptized! October 12, right?" !!!!! He brought it up himself. Man, so pure in heart. I couldn't believe we had only met him two weeks prior, but we've been able to teach him 3 times/week plus daily contact. The lesson was followed by a wonderful time at church and our two investigators calling each other "baptism buddies." I gave a talk and Sister Kapisi and I sang as well. I didn't want to leave church and say goodbye! Luckily, we have FHE tonight and kind of a "goodbye party" (they do that every time there is a change) so that will be fun.

As you can tell, it has been an amazing final week here in New York. I am really, really grateful for everything. I couldn't have imagined how much love I would have for Plainview when I started here in July. These people are the best!

I can't wait to see everyone soon! I know that there are good things to come, even though this phase of my life is ending. There are always new adventures around the corner.

I love you!

Sister Peacock

Here are a few pictures to wrap up:
With President & Sister Calderwood at the temple, Sis K and I with Heather, me with Becca, Lina and Kim before doing baptisms,me & Shayna, and me with my mission mom, Sister Blom :)






No comments: