Hello! Another crazy fast week just flew by and I find myself sitting at the computer, yet again, wondering where the time went. We had two exchanges this last week. I was in Astoria (Queens) on Tuesday and Jamaica (with Sister Acosta) on Saturday. We also had zone conference with President and Sister Calderwood on Thursday, and a few great lessons in between all of that!
We finally had the chance to talk to Liz and Angela again. Liz had surgery two weeks ago, and it ended up being a harder recovery, so she will basically be in home for about a month. But,we did challenge them with a baptism date in April. They said they would pray about it and we had a great lesson explaining the importance of the baptism covenant. I always feel very comfortable in lessons with them, and this time, I asked Liz what she would change about her life. She said, "I wish I would have raised my kids in a church." I told her and promised her that it was not too late. I testified that her children WOULD see her example and follow her. I know great blessings are waiting for her, and I told her how Heavenly Father send us to her because she is prepared. She is ready. We pray that she will feel confident about setting a baptism date and working towards it!
In Astoria, I had a really interesting experience. It had basically been pouring down all day, so we were soaked from head to toe from walking around. But, I realized I would not want to be anywhere else. I would not want to trade this mission experience. As I sat on the bus that night, I saw a woman walk on, the weight of the world heavy on her shoulders. In my mind, I envisioned her, not as she was, but as she could be. I saw her sitting in a relief society class, participating in a lesson, meeting other sisters. I then noticed two young girls sitting across from me. One was probably 15; the other 9. I thought of Becky and me. I pictured in my head the two young girls one day, celebrating a marriage at the temple. Dressed in white and happy and full of joy. It was such an interesting experience for me to really THINK of people that way ... of who they can become. I wanted to share a message with them, but there wasnt time before getting off, so I just had time to give them a card. But, the feeling that day on the bus has stayed with me all week. Sometimes people just seem to be ... people. There are millions here. I realized that day that people are much more than just a number and someone walking by on the street. They are children of God. What is their story? What are their struggles? I hope I can help more people here. I hope I can be a useful instrument in His hands.
The other news of the week I wanted to share was our experience on Sunday. We didn't have any investigators at church, but we had two sisters (less actives) come that haven't been in more than 6 months. It was so, so wonderful to see them! One of them is Ana Nolasco. We started visiting her a few weeks ago, and she has set return appointments with us each week, and has a desire to prioritze her life a little more. Our vision with her is to go to the temple; first for baptisms. It was so exciting that she came to church! We also had a family of 5 that we have been working with come as well (the grandma is active but her kids and grandson have been on and off) and Susan and her son (another on/off person). So, even though we didnt have investigators come, we still saw progress with a lot of people!
We have been doing FHEs with the Bermudez family each week (the family of five). Sister Bermudez makes us delicious Mexican food and then we have a lesson and activity. Last week, we played Jenga and then asked each team to pick a tile and find a scripture that talks about the principle mentioned. It was a super fun activity and we are becoming better friends with them each week. Yesterday at church, Iris, her daughter, was really excited that we were coming back tonight.
Ok, it is about time to wrap up! This week is another crazy week -- we are presenting at 3 zone conferences and then having exchanges right after, so we won't be in our area until the weekend. Then it is stake conference! Our week is pretty packed. And...I cannot wait for general conference! :)
I love you and hope you all have a great week!
Happy Birthday Josie and baby boy Peacock! :)
Sister Peacock
No comments:
Post a Comment