12.18.2013

Little Neck: Week 1.

Man. From Rivehead to Little Neck. What is it with parts of the body
and my mission areas?

Changes. Big changes! Well, president threw me a curveball this
transfer. I was expecting the city, which I suppose you can't have
expectations like that in missionary service. But, I was because
that's what I have seen. And I was looking forward to fearlessing meeting
people right and left on the subways and busses and walking
everywhere....but, I am in Little Neck. The area is interesting
because it is part island/part city. For example, I live in
Douglaston, which is Queens. But because our area is huge, we have
cars. I was a little bummed about that (excited to get out and WALK)
but everything happens for a reason right? And the area itself is
super diverse and very different from the countryside and quiet
Riverhead.

But, all of that aside, a little more of the area...it is a zebra pool
again, meaning we teach English and Spanish. We have a ward here, and
it is actually President Calderwood's ward. He was gone yesterday (and
is quite often, I imagine) but that will be exciting to see him at
church. I love his family! I was really excited for our ward Christmas
party so I could meet a lot of people...unfortunately they canceled it
because of the snow...wouldn't want anyone getting stranded. Hehe. Our
district just went out and shoveled driveways instead for 3 hours,
which turned out to be a lot of fun. But, I was able to meet members
at church yesterday. There is a lot of diversity here...Barbados,
Philippines, Jamaica, Peru, Utah...

Also, we have an awesome ward mission leader & I am very excited to
work with him! Plus, the ward list is super organized. Blessings of a
ward! I can't wait to get these members involved and pumped up about
teaching with us & inviting their friends.

And...holy cow! Christmas is next week?! I am not sure what our plans
are for that day. We don't have any plans with members or anyone, so I
don't know when we will be calling. But I think we are just using our
iPads for Skype or FaceTime. I liked being able to use the Bloms
computer on Mother's Day, but we'll see how this goes. I think we will
just use wifi at the church. I am excited nonetheless.

Somehow, my mission now seems very short in time left. As I realized
last week, I could be in this area for 2-4 transfers (most likely)
which would mean I would only have 3-5 transfers left! And, most
missionaries have around 3 areas so things are becoming very real to
me that I'm in the midpoint of my mission. I still have hopes of
serving in the city someday, but I've also come to the conclusion that
might not be where God needs me.

Also, funny fact. Sister Hale left Riverhead and went to Jamaica with
Sister Jensen. Then Sister Jensen was there with her for 2 transfers
and then was transferred to Rivehead with sister Acosta. She text me
the other day and said she has now heard stories from both my trainer
and my trainee :) she said she was super grateful to be with sister
Acosta and that I trained an incredible, hardworking missionary. It
was such a blessing to have that opportunity,  but I think she was
incredible before she came to New York!

But, I will keep working hard this transfer, and praying frequently
for Heavenly Father to guide my steps. I am sure I will grow this
transfer, and especially my relationship with my Father in Heaven will
grow as I turn to Him to help teach me patience and charity.

I read this quote this morning:

"No pain we suffer, no trial we experience is wasted. It ministers to
our education, to the development of such qualities as patience,
faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we
endure, especially when we endure patiently, builds up our characters,
purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and
charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God ... And it is
through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the
education that we come here to acquire." Orson F. Whitney

How true! I hope you all have a fantastic week.

For information, you can send letters to this address:
240-26 68th Avenue
Douglaston, NY 11362

Or packages to: the mission office
85-69 60th Drive
Elmhurst, NY 11373

I will send some pictures too of the past week!

Goodbye to my riverhead cottage!



No comments: