11.07.2013

forever changed.

Shortly after starting my mission, I learned a profound lesson from my mission president, President Calderwood. The New York South mission theme is "forever changed." But, what does that mean? How can someone be "forever changed" or "changing?"

President Calderwood illustrated a pattern that we see everywhere -- in the scriptures, in our families, and in the church. 

First, it starts with the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is: faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. That is the path we must take. It's not a one-way road; it's more like a roundabout. Yes, the gospel of Jesus Christ is a cycle. We can't expect to have faith or repent once and be fine. It's a process. As we come to learn about these principles and live them, we have a desire to change and to be changed. 

This takes us to the second step -- living the gospel of Jesus Christ allows us to be forever changing. This is the concept that intrigued me ... what does it mean to forever change? Forever is a daunting word. In the scriptures, we read how the Anti-Nephi-Lehies buried their weapons of war, never to use them again. They were forever changed. How can we guarantee that we are "forever changed?" I prefer to think of it in terms of changing because, just like the gospel is a process, we are constantly being molded & refined, and hopefully, becoming better. 

I went to a mission conference shortly after being taught this pattern and many of the sisters bore their testimonies about how they've changed on their missions. I started to panic. "I've been out 2 months! Why don't I feel that way? What's wrong with me? I feel the same as I was at home! Why aren't I forever changed yet?" 

But, that's the very evidence of being forever changed...the fact that I had the desire to be different. See, the third part of the pattern is obedience. When we are forever changing, we want to be obedient. We choose to follow God. We look for ways to improve.

That's where patience and persistence come in. Change isn't an overnight process (WHAT? Since when?). There are a few goals I set at the beginning of my mission and I'm still working at being or becoming these things -- more charitable, more patience, more selfless ... the list goes on. But, the important thing is that when we live the gospel of Jesus Christ, we have the desire to change. Sometimes, we feel like we don't measure up, or that everyone is going on the fast-track to happiness & is progressing so much quicker. But, where is our desire? And what are doing to show God our desires? 

So, to sum it up, as we learn and live the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, we begin to forever change, and we are obedient as we do so. 

Forever changing ... it's a process to become more like the Savior. I know as I've tried to become more like Him, to adopt His attributes, that I've felt His love in my life. It's not easy. It's easier

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog you are awesome!!!