Those three words describe this past week, but you know I could never leave it at that! This week has been the fastest, I think, of my entire mission. We're now onto week 3 -- so nearly halfway through the transfer. I really feel like August has flown by.
This week we had a lot of experiences that showed us how the Lord has His hand in all we do, and especially when we STOP and LISTEN.
First, an update on Elizabeth! We taught her three times this week, twice with awesome members. We were able to take a member who had come with us before (in June) and as we left the appointment, she said to us, "SHE IS GLOWING!" She continued to say that she couldn't believe it was the same person as before. It's so incredible to see that change, and I don't think I'll get tired of writing about the difference we see in her. Sunday was her birthday, and we stopped by to teach her a little lesson. She had saved us birthday cake from a party the day before, and as we finished the lesson, she asked, "Can I get baptized on September 7?" She was choosing to get baptized sooner! We couldn't stop smiling and I finally had to say, "THIS IS SO EXCITING! I feel like it's MY birthday!" She just started laughing and smiling too. I have come to feel so much love for her, for her daughter Naazi, and her son Abraham. They bring such joy to the appointments, even when we have to pray each week that they will be quiet and not running around...and it rarely happens. But they are a light too. So, now we have a baptism to plan that is two weeks away, and I think it'll be here before we know it! Pray for her continued learning and to be strong in the next few weeks, as I know Satan tries especially hard at this time.
This weekend we had a BBQ fundraiser and auction for the youth in our branch. I had never been to a dessert auction before, but it was so much fun! The missionaries definitely felt loved as well, as each of us received a homemade cinnamon roll (although, mom, yours are just unmatched by any others!) and trail mix "anonymously" donated. The branch president from Hampton Bays showed us a video on mormon.org, and it talks all about my mission! So, here is the link to check out:
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormon-missionary-life
I know those sister missionaries! I've been on exchanges with Sister Allen. That was really exciting to watch. And, even as I sat there, listening to President Calderwood on video, I felt comforted hearing his voice.
Saturday night after the auction, we had about an hour left and decided to surprise visit a member family in the ward. We'd tried to get an appt with them, but it's never worked out. We drove the 15 minutes to their home, and ended up chatting with the wife for a half hour. She invited us back this week and was so warm and welcoming. Sometimes, I think we just have to make the first step and then start building that relationship. I'm excited to work more closely with their family.
In other surprise visits, we took Mirna along with us twice this week and ended up visiting two less active Spanish women. Mirna ... is awesome. Each time she speaks, I feel so blessed and grateful that she is a part of this journey, and that I was able to be a part of her return to the church. In the near-five months of working with her, she hasn't ceased to share her testimony of faith, even with the many, many trials she's endured in her life. Last night, we visited a LA who is rather negative and refuses to move past a certain event in her life. Mirna said the things that needed to be said, in a loving way, but in a way that we couldn't. Mirna also started her calling as branch chorister on Sunday :) I nearly cried just watching her from the audience, fulfilling a calling! She was so nervous, but we just kept smiling at her and encouraging her. And, hopefully she will be able to go to the temple this fall to receive her endowment. We talk about it a lot with her; we just need a temple prep class. I can't wait for that to happen! What a blessing in her life!
And, two things from my personal study this week:
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author & finisher of our faith."
I love that scripture! One, because it mentions running, which makes me happy, but also, run with patience? Sometimes, I feel like patience is more like p--a---t---i---e--n--c--e. You know, it's long. It's a process. But, RUN with it. We can do this! We can win the war.
Second, here is a quote pulled from the August ensign:
"So much of life depends on our attitude. The way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference. To do the best we can and then to choose to be happy about our circumstances, whatever they may be, can bring peace and contentment." --Thomas S. Monson
I sometimes have a bad attitude. I get down. I get discouraged. And more often than not, people can tell. But, I have a goal to really focus and CHOOSE how I respond. I need to be happy and I CAN be happy now. We have all the information and rights to happiness; we just have to accept it.
Tomorrow is our zone conference and I can't wait to be edified by what will be shared. I love, love this mission & these people! And, President Calderwood said our district is the most unified in the mission. I definitely can see that. We have way too much fun, working hard, and serving the Lord! The miracles are in abundance. I think the miracles are really everywhere, everyday, we just sometimes forget to look. It seems easy on a mission to see all the miracles, but if you look, I think you'll find them in your life too!
Okay. Wow! Long email today, eh? I just type fast! I love you all and truly cherish the emails you send! They mean so much to me and the support is immeasurable!
Until next week,
Sister Peacock
Me and Abraham, Elizbeth's son
Sandberg, Hale, and Peacock (reunited again!) at Matt's baptism.
Riverhead Missionaries at the auction (E. Spencer, Baker, Hale, and me!)
Me and "Dack" (refer to previous posts)
No comments:
Post a Comment