There have been many events that have happened this week, but I want to focus on the "main" things, which all happened in the last few days! It's been a whirlwind week of emotions, that's for sure. I think that's how missions are, though.
Thursday night, we went to scout camp and met some of the stake young men leaders and youth, and then stayed for part of the testimony meeting. IT WAS AWESOME. Brother Blom had challenged all of them earlier in the week to "plant seeds" and at the beginning of the meeting, he asked them again what it was they were to do. A chorus of young men yell out, "PLANT SEEDS!" and then hands shot up in fulfillment of that. We were so touched, as Bro. Blom said it all started with our "member missionary program" and his family. He told us that at the end of the week, 12 boys told him that though they had been "on the fence" about serving a mission, they were now going to do so. How great is the joy?
Next, we were able to talk to Dack again, and he told us he started reading the Book of Mormon. And he loved it. That made us super pleased, and then he gave us his number and got ours. This will prove critical later on in the story.
Friday morning, I'm reading in Preach My Gospel about baptismal services (bc the elders' investigator Matt was getting baptized Saturday and he had asked me to speak) and I read that this is a KEY event for investigators and that often, after attending a baptism, they go on to be baptized themselves. I was thinking, "Oh man, we don't have anyone who has said they could come." We get a text from Dack and then he asked about the weekend ... DOORS OPENED. We invited him to attend the baptism.
Saturday, we taught Laura again. She is quickly progressing. She told us she had one cup of coffee this week, and that she felt guilty after drinking it. She had been working 100+ hours and overnight shifts, and made it by with one drink the whole week. We were so proud of her for that! She then asked us about the baptism that night and said she wanted to come, even though she had ZERO sleep since the night before (meeting with us just half hour after her overnight shift ended) and starting working again at 10 that night.
The baptism was a beautiful thing. Really. Dack came, Fernando and Osmar came, and Laura came, along with her boyfriend and his three children (Elizabeth would have come if she was in town). It was so great to see all of them there! Dack told us he had questions and wanted to meet with us later this week :) Hoorah! Fernando said he felt "warm" and it also seemed to spark something. Laura already wants to get baptized, so this only intensified that desire. But, overall, it was just a beautiful night! Matt chose to get baptized in the ocean, which was really something. And there was just a glow about him. Even though we weren't his "missionaries", I felt a joy that is unmatched with anything I've experienced. My heart felt like it was about ready to explode!
But that's not all. We had met with Elizabeth earlier this week, and had talked about the Word of Wisdom again. She had struggled with that before, saying she couldn't give up coffee and drinks wine at family parties. This time when we brought it up, she said, "Well, I know that keeping the commandments bring us closer to God, and if we don't keep them, we're in darkness. I can drink juice at the parties..." How great is that joy? Sunday, she came to church & even offered the prayer in Sunday School. Sincere prayers from an investigator are beautiful. Then, we met with her after church. We asked her about baptism, and we were able to SET A DATE with her! So, we have the date set for Sept. 14. I can't even describe the change we have seen in her from April until now. She has changed so much! As sister hale and I were teaching her, both of thought "wow, Elizabeth is really beautiful." When we first started teaching her, she seemed a little homely, never smiling or laughing or speaking much. Empty of emotion. Never asking questions. Now, it's not like that at all! We feel that divine love for her, for her worth as a daughter of God. And you can see that she is seeing it more in herself too. She has the light of Christ and really, a brighter countenance. I don't know a better way to end the week.
Also, a scripture to share from my personal study this week: "Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you." (1 Peter 3:15).
We have the ability and the duty to share that light that we have that so much of the world doesn't. I promise it's worth it. Be an example. Open your mouth. The Lord will help you, and He will bless you!
I love you!
Hermana Pavo
No comments:
Post a Comment