Guess where that subject line comes from?
Well, we live pretty close to the library but have always been short on time on Pday, so we never end up walking. But, today we did. And, as we passed a gas station, a guy in his 20s says to us, "How are you ladies doing?"
"Fine, thanks. How are you?"
And his response? "Better now, better now." Creep.
Oh, Riverhead. It's really wonderful here :)
Now on for the details of the week!
We had wonderful times this week knocking doors. It rained for a few days straight, but that didn't stop us. We tag teamed a street with the Riverhead elders (so much fun) and were laughing and joking the whole way. I would occasionally say, "Excuse me. I don't see your SMILE!" and then give them a big cheesy grin. The funny thing is people would say, "Oh, we don't want to keep you out in the rain ... we know you have things to do." when we went to their door. I wanted to say, "You realize you're sending us back to the rain, right?" But, it is all worth it. And, one night, we knocked 5 houses and spoke to 4 of the people. There was one lady (and it was my turn) and she wasn't interested. I suddenly just said, "Can we just share a message with you?" She turned and started walking back to her kitchen, but then said, "Come on in." She ended up asking us what time church was and where, but didn't come on Sunday. But it was an interesting experience nonetheless. We left and I said to my companions, "I'm still not even sure how we got in to her house."
This week has been harder with our investigators -- mostly because we have had to "drop" the ones who aren't progressing. And, we are still working with our Polish sister, Elizabeth. But her husband is Muslim, which makes it really difficult to teach. We want to teach families, not just her. She always reads the chapters we tell her, and she has now been to church twice. But without talking to her husband, we don't feel we should continue. This past Sunday, she brought her two children to church as well. The little 7-year-old daughter sat next to me and drew me pictures in my missionary planner and then asked if we could come back over to their house. It breaks my heart to walk away from that family and leave it up to them, but they have to show their commitment too.
One of the best experiences this week was a lesson we taught with a recent convert. She ended up letting us know that she was having a really hard time with things and told us all these questions and concerns she had. We invited her to receive a Priesthood blessing (and called the elders). Then we all felt that we should tell her about patriarchal blessings. But, when the elders came, the blessing was given ... and every concern was addressed, though they had not been there to hear them. I know the Lord speaks through the power of the Priesthood. It is so important to recognize it in our lives. What an amazing blessing!
We had Pday today instead of yesterday this week because we participated in a Memorial Day parade (we passed out fliers about a community event in a neighboring city). We also helped at a dual branch bbq yesterday, played volleyball with investigators, and spent the night at the senior couple home.
This morning we went to Montauk again, taking Sis. Sandberg. We went with Elder Baker and Spencer (from Riverhead) and another companionship. We were there again in time for the sunrise, and came back right after. But it was really beautiful! Maybe I'll attach some photos if there is time.
Anyway, things are great here. I can't believe we're halfway in this transfer. Next Tuesday is the women's conference and they asked if I would sing a musical number. I'm very excited!
And this week, we are focusing on finding, finding, finding! So, pray that we can find new investigators who are prepared!
Finally, I had a morning in personal study this week that blew my mind. I wsa reading in Helaman 3:35 that talks about yielding our hearts. When I read it in Spanish, the verb was "entregar" which means to "abandon, deliver, etc." I felt that abandoning was a stronger word, and I loved how it made me think more about the scripture. We have to be humble enough to ABANDON our hearts (our will) to the Lord, knowing His plan is better and that He sees the big picture.
Ok, love you all!
Hermana Peacock
No comments:
Post a Comment