I'm now serving my second transfer! Woohoo! Time flies, right? Since I came in to the mission on my third week, I will have 13 transfers instead of 12 (like the other Spanish speaking missionaries). What a week we had!
On Tuesday, Sister Madsen had her final temple trip, so Sister Hale and I went in to the city on exchanges. We were in Brooklyn. It was Zone Training that day so we didn't have any appointments while we were there, sadly. But, it was fun to walk around in the city. I definitely miss walking! But, I think it's safe to say I will be happy in the city or "on the island" (where I am now). There are currently less than 8 sister companionships on the island, so to start out here is pretty lucky. Some never get to experience the island and stay in the city their whole mission. It is definitely a change of pace, but one that I love!
We had to go to the mission office twice last week (it's about a 2-hour drive each way if traffic is decent) and so we carpooled with the elders from our district. Oh man. I would say they started to get to know me! Ha. I think being in the car for that long brings out the best in people. We even made them listen to Saturday's Warrior for a little bit, poor elders. But, we definitely bonded. I think it was a unifying experience, at least for the three of us in the back. I'm sure my companions in the front just assumed I was/am crazy.
There are officially more sisters than elders in the MTC, as of two weeks ago. And, we are getting 14 new sisters this week! 10 are here temporarily while waiting for their visas to Brazil. (I said it would be awesome if she was sent to Hollie's mission after ... can you imagine?). Because of this, we will continue being a trio! Sister Hale will help finish my 6 weeks of training, and also will train this new Portuguese speaking sister. We're not sure how it will all work, and I was a little bummed at first because I was excited to work as a companionship, but then I remembered that the Lord knows what he is doing. And we will be fine! After this next transfer, I don't know if I will be in Riverhead or not. I hope that I stay, but with three..it seems someone will be leaving. We shall see!
So, for some stories this week...
We got a new cellphone last week and I was sending out text messages to everyone letting them know. We received a reply from an inactive woman (who my companions had tried to reach a few months ago and could never contact). Well, she asked if we could come visit her that night. We ended up visiting her twice last week, and she has a long way to go. She is really struggling with shame/guilt and wants to come back but is scared. It will be a long process, but she said we were an answer to prayer.
We also had a visit with another less active, Mirna. She started coming back to church after a visit we had with her 3 weeks ago. It's been awesome because she comes faithfully each Sunday and there is a "glow" about her now. We are going to start preparing her to go to the temple. I love, love, love Mirna. She is in her 60s and her husband has been dead for a long time. She lives alone and takes care of her grandsons a few times a week. She is amazing and has so much faith! All she needed, it seems, was an invite and a reminder to "come back."
There is also an investigator we are working with named Eliza. We weren't sure if she really wanted to know more or what her interest was in moving forward with lessons. We have been very bold this last week though and sure enough, during our lesson, SHE was the one to let us know she wanted to get baptized. But, there are two problems. One, she isn't married to her current "husband." Two, she never got divorced from her husband in Mexico. We see this a lot here. But, I know God will help her. I asked if she would come to church in time for the sacrament. She has come for the last few weeks, but normally gets there during Sunday School. She said how hard it was to get there on time with two little boys. Well, on Sunday, I was playing piano in sacrament meeting, and I look up during the hymn ... and I see her walking in with her two kids! I understood, in that moment, "true happiness." I could not stop smiling! It will not be an easy road for her, but I know she can do the things required to get baptized.
It's been such a busy week and we have another crazy week ahead! New companion tomorrow, new district leader, we start teaching Spanish classes in the community, we are having our big game night ... a lot to do! But, I LOVE being busy. It keeps me sane as a missionary to have things to do, people to teach, lessons to plan.
And one funny story to wrap up the email! As I said, we had our new phone and text our contacts to let them know. Well, we receive a text back that the person clearly didn't know who we were. Next, we get a call. I answered and it was a Spanish man on the other end. Well, I apologized that we had the wrong number and hung up. But then we get a text that says (in Spanish) "Sorry for the question, but who are you? What's your name? You have a beautiful voice." What?! Creeper. I didn't text back. Then he calls again. And another text: "Respondeme, baby." Yep. And a blocked call. Luckily, it ended there. But, we named the contact "Creeper! Don't answer!" in case it happens again.
Also, since we celebrated Sister Hale's birthday today (she turned 21), we started talking about ages. And one elder said, "You have 19 written all over your face." And another said, "Yeah, you're definitely 19." Sister Hale said, "She's 22." They just laughed and said there was "no way." Oh, how funny things are sometimes. Age is obsolete here!
The mission life. It's a fun one.
Take care and I'll write again soon :)
MUCH LOVE.
Hermana Pickup
Service day in the Rockaways (Hurricane Sandy cleanup): Elder Baker, Verhagen, me, Hale, Madsen
Our new house (Me & Sis Hale)
Exchanges in Brooklyn
My day on exchanges in Brooklyn
Me and Sis Madsen in our backyard
Making a Peacock Family classic at the Bloms ... Rolo cookies on Mothers Day!
Blom Family Dinner for Mothers' Day
Surprise Birthday party for Sister Hale! Elder Baker, Smith ,Cabeza de Vaca (with glasses), Elder Martherus, Sister Madsen, Elder Nelson, Sister Hale, Elder Verhagen, me
1 comment:
you are SUCH a cute sister!!! i love reading how well you are doing! keep that fire burning + work as hard as you can! 18 months will FLY BY! :) you look amazing and i pray for your safety and success daily! i love you!
Post a Comment