![]() |
| **no, this is not me. and does not look like me when I run. it's just a visual for this blog post. |
This week, I started training for it. The race I want to run is the Cedar City Half on Sept. 15. That is definitely not 12 weeks away, so I'm not following the schedule exactly. But I can already feel my endurance increasing & my muscles working hard.
Today I ran nearly 4 miles in 40 minutes, which is slower than I ran in cross country, but the 10-minute pace works for me. I also recently purchased new running shorts, capris (clearance for $10. Score!), and socks. Nothing motivates you (well, besides perhaps relationship woes) like new running gear!
I can't wait to run in Asheville for the next 10 days with my sister. I think running is a great way to explore when you are traveling. And then to run again in Cedar. I love my little town!
So, with that being said ... if you have run a half marathon, do you have any tips? Or even if you haven't, what are some great running/"pump up" songs?
Any & all advice is appreciated!

3 comments:
Here are some tips and you'll be hearing WAY more for the next 10 days you're in town:
focus less on pace and more on just finishing your first race. slow and steady was my motto.
keep yourself well hydrated all day but don't drink anything for about 40 minutes before you run unless your routes come with bathroom stops
download the "map my run" app on your iPhone. it will keep track of your time, your distance and your route. super handy.
stop eating dairy. ha ha. that's not really a running tip. it's just a jen tip.
on race morning eat a salad for breakfast instead of carbo loading.
fun fact: people that walked up hills were more likely to have better times. guess because they conserved energy to use later? have no idea.
I forgot one more - in training, once you get to 10 miles, you're set. seriously. when you've run 10, 3.1 doesn't seem like that much further. Weird how that worked.
PSS - that girl in the picture might look good but the heel-toe strike is really hard on your joints. ha ha. if you change the way you strike, you have more energy. i've always run striking the pad of my foot first. I never knew this was the preferred method until I started training for my race and reading Born to Run.
Post a Comment