1.08.2011

second chances.

I saw a video the other night on youtube. The description read "Homeless man with a golden voice". My friend and I were shocked when we watched the video. Today, while browsing the web (and watching 6 episodes of Modern Family..don't judge me. I've been at the newspaper for 5 hours and we have nearly nothing ready for Monday that I can work on), I came across an interview the homeless man had on the Today Show. It's worth watching, really. Watch it here.

When I watched this video, I realized how much people can change. Sure, this man had a rough past, but he wanted to change. It was inspiring to me. Watching how much gratitude this man had — and how things were changing for him now. And why? Because someone decided to pay attention and listen to his story. And youtube helped as well :) He now has offers across the country for jobs. While in Vegas a few weeks ago, I did something I'd never done before — I offered a sandwich and fruit to a homeless man who had a sign that said he was hungry. But now? I want to find out a homeless person's story.

Way too often, I see someone with a sign and I look away, pretending that they don't exist. I think comments like "They could get a job if they really wanted one ... they'll just use my money for drugs and alcohol." But guess what everyone? These people are just that ... they are people. People who have slipped up. But they deserve to be treated like humans. And so, I haven't made any "resolutions" this year, until now. Get to know people. People you might not have before. People you might judge. Don't. Find out their story. Because they deserve that.


2 comments:

Kailee said...

Wow, that was SO cool! Thanks for sharing..I'm going to try and be less judgmental now that i've seen that. :)

Liz said...

I watch the youtube post on the news. His voice is incredible!