*Phrase commonly referencing a missionary who stays in an area for
just one transfer before leaving.
Well! What do you know? I'm getting transferred! That was definitely
not what I was expecting, after having served in my first two areas
for 6-9 months. But, I totally trust that the Lord needed me here for
just six weeks. He knows what He is doing!
It is exciting though! I am ready for change & looking forward to
serving with a new companion and in a new area. Bring it on!
That was probably the biggest update from the week but I thought I
would list some miracles from this transfer in Terryville:
•ELIZABETH WAS BAPTIZED! Woo! Even more, I asked her yesterday what
the greatest part has been since her baptism and she said having the
constant companionship of the Holy Ghost and never wanting to lose it.
She also said how she has learned about "everyday, real-time
repentance" and the importance of the sacrament. AH. Music to my ears!
•It is totally possible to love people & a ward/area in a SHORT amount of time
•Two temple trips for endowments!
•Amazing, inspired zone leaders.
•I have met wonderful families who have definitely gone on the list of
influential people I've met on my mission.
•Mission conference with Elder Nielsen of the seventy. It is always a
privilege to be in the presence of a general authority
•Patience. :)
•Being so close to my first area & being able to visit and see other
people who I've come to love in Riverhead and Hampton Bays.
•I can do hard things! (So can you)
The mission is so exciting and always changing. Sister Jean is also
being transferred so we are being "blinded out" of our area.
Sometimes I think back to two years ago, when I was toying around with
the idea of going on a mission. I am grateful I decided to be humble
and actually ASK Heavenly Father if that is what he would have me do.
It took a few years for my heart to be willing to go on a mission, but
I know this is where I am supposed to be right now. I shudder to think
of the things I wouldn't have learned if I had stayed at home. Good
thing the age change happened so I could come right now! (just kidding
... everyone just thinks I am 19 here :) But, I am going to make the
final 12 weeks of my mission count. I know they will fly by because I
can easily remember what I was doing 2 transfers ago. How crazy that
time really does pass so quickly when, at the beginning, it seems like
18 months is so far away.
I will share a tidbit from my personal studies to end the email. I was
reading one of the best talks ever ... "Beware of Pride" by President
Benson (1989 general conference if you are interested...). I received
that talk in seminary in high school and our teacher had given us a
copy of it, which has been tucked away in my wallet since that day.
But, I read it again this week and this particularly stood out: "Our
motives for the things we do are where the sin is manifest." Why do we
do the things we do? For praise? For God? Because we love God? Are our
motives pure? Pride is the "great stumbling block to Zion" and we know
that Zion is the pure in heart. Let's look at our choices and see WHY
we do the things we do.
OH, wait. Let me add one more thing from this past week. I was
studying Preach My Gospel about the purpose of the Book of Mormon.
Mormon 8:35 hit me super strong! "..I speak unto you as if ye were
present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you
unto me, and I know your dong." Okay..he SAW us. He saw our day. First
of all, that would be CRAZY for a number of reason (technology, paper,
cars, airplanes, electricity...you know?) but also..the Book of Mormon
really was written for US. I mean, they didn't go back and read their
writings. They were written for OUR benefit. So, take advantage of
that awesome gift. STUDY it. Love it. I just finished reading the BOM
again and the last time was the most insight I'd gained and I am
excited to see what impacts me this next go-round. It is an incredible
book.
I love you! Can't wait to update you next week on where I'm headed. I
have some guesses (here on Long Island) but it could be different than
I expect. We shall see tomorrow!
Love,
Sister Peacock


No comments:
Post a Comment