Hello!
It has been one C-R-A-Z-Y week! I can't believe everything that has
happened since writing last week. We had two exchanges and a sisters
conference and two zone conferences...but in between all of that, we
found out we would be getting a third companion.
So, my companion from Terryville was having problems walking & she was
in the city so Tuesday night, president called and asked that she come
with us. In 24 hours, we had figured out a way to rearrange our room
to fit three beds (UN MILAGRO!), attended a zone conference, carried
out sisters conference (the STLs plan it...we started like six months
ago!), and got a new companion. PHEW. We weren't really sure how
exchanges would work with three of us, so I ended up going to the
other sisters' pool and being with both of them for the day.
Sunday we found out that we were taking Sister Jean to the airport
(today) as she would be flying home. It was a WHIRLWIND of a week!
Lots of unexpected events. So, we are getting everything ready this
morning so we can drive her to JFK this afternoon.
But, a few gems of the week! We set a VGP for our district (vision,
goals & plans) for the rest of the transfer and have already seen
miracles in the form of investigators for our other district members.
We WILL find a new investigator this week in YSA! I know it. We had 3
member present lessons, which is great considering we have a very
small pool at the moment & a little branch. The lessons were awesome!
We taught our investigator who claims to be Atheist. She is the
sweetest! This was our second lesson with her. She has been praying &
said she would keep trying even though she wasn't sure she was getting
an answer. We taught her about scripture study and she committed to do
it. Our awesome branch mission leader (best ever) made her this study
guide with questions which she was super pumped about. She said she
would ask her boss about Sundays so she could come to church :) yay!
We also had two lessons with recent converts. Both have amazing
stories! And the members who came are stellar teachers. It just makes
me so happy to see members testifying and committing people to do
something :) yes!
Two awkward moments of the week (yay for me being quirky and awkward,
right? Good thing I can laugh at myself!)
•while visiting our investigator's house, we met her adorable niece.
Her brother is Spanish and his wife is Japanese. I said, "She is so
cute! What a good mix!" A good mix?! Not like her niece was a
puppy...sheesh.
•while teaching our RC, the member said he was Asian. I replied, "Oh,
what kind?" I meant like...Japanese? Korean? Chinese? He was confused.
After explaining it, I proceeded to tell him the few things I know in
Chinese...our purpose, free English class... He responds, "Yeah, I
don't speak any Chinese." #awkward
What else? Sisters conference ROCKED! We had inspiring workshops and
it was wonderful to see all the beautiful NYSM sisters :) There are so
many now! 80 sisters, which is about 40 percent of the mission. Crazy.
And now we have ASL, Chinese and Cantonese in addition to Spanish
speakers. Soon we will be getting Korean sisters. It was amazing to
watch the sisters and observe their faces from the stand. How I love
them! The biggest insight I received from the conference was this:
-we talk a lot about "real time" repentance. I realize that any
negative comment, even directed at myself, drives the spirit away and
should be repented of immediately. I'll admit. I am not the best at
always talking about myself in a positive way. But, it really struck
me that we can't feel the spirit when we speak negatively about one of
God's creations, including ourselves! #realtime is our favorite
hashtag to use in the mission.
Also, after the conference I met a new senior couple. They asked where
I was from..then they asked, "Do you know a Jacob Peacock?" I told
them he was my brother and Sister Eckhert got so excited. She said
they were in the same ward in NC and they just looooooved Jacob
Peacock :) so, there ya go brother!
Well. This email was longer than I planned! But I hope you are all
doing great. Remember to be positive, even (and especially) about
yourself! Don't let Satan win!
Love,
Sister Peacock




No comments:
Post a Comment