4.22.2014

the island specialist.

Dear family,

I AM SO HAPPY.

I was leading the music in church yesterday and as I looked out over
the congregation, I felt love. Love for each family as my eyes scanned
over the pews. Love that some of the less actives we invited came.
Love that I was still in Little Neck. Love for my companion. Love for
the savior and the resurrection.

It seems my disposition has changed this week. I want to be happy,
regardless. I feel happy and excited, more so than ever before, it
seems. I want to be grateful IN my circumstances, not just for things.
We had many blessings this week!

1. My new companion! Sister Lewis is her name. She is 20 and is from
Mapleton. We started in the same zone and served around each other for
about 7 months. I always thought it would be fun to be her companion.
For some reason, I didn't think she would be in Little Neck with me
when I heard she got an STL call. But when it was announced at
transfers, an immediate wave of relief and excitement filled me! It
has been such a fun week. We get along so well and I am super thrilled
to work with her :)

2. We now have 12 zones in the mission (there were 9 when I came). We
now have 4 sets of STLs (one for each stake). It all makes sense now
why I came to Little Neck. I needed to be here so I could start the
new STL pool in this new stake. At the time it seemed strange since
another set of STLs was in the same zone. But now it makes complete
sense as the stakes and zones have been rearranged. A testimony that
God sees the whole picture -- and that President Calderwood was
inspired 3 transfers ago. Three new units got sisters! Super exciting
times. President said this is our hour to work in the vineyard and
that The Lord is drawing near and that He is working with us.

3. We are now in the same zone as Flushing, which is dominantly a
Chinese/Korean  area. So, when we contacted people as a zone finding
activity, I practiced some Chinese phrases like "I know God loves
you!" (wǒ zhìdaǒ shén aì nǐ) or "I am a missionary for the church of
Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" (wǒ shì yēsū jīdū hoùqì shéngtù
jiàhuìde chúanjiàoshì). Who would've guessed I'd learn a little
Chinese on my mission? #giftoftongues

4. One of the less actives we have been working with since I got here
is preparing to do baptisms in the temple in May! Wooo! I can't wait
:))

5. We planned all of our exchanges for the transfer and I am super
stoked. We have some new sisters to exchange with and I just love love
love getting to know them. We also are going to start planning the
mega sisters conference/training, which will be next transfer with all
of the sisters in the mission. It happens twice a year.

6. At church President Calderwood was introducing us and he said,
"Sister Peacock has been on the island her whole mission. She is our
island specialist." You know, I think I might just stay on the island
...I have thought of the possibility of being sent back to Riverhead
or even starting the sister pool in Hampton Bays. Who knows?

7. We finally found a place to do service every week! I found a local
farm/museum a few months ago but volunteer season didn't start until
April. Well, we are going to start volunteering as a district every
Tuesday after our district meeting! It should be a whole lot of fun.

8. Finally, this week I studied a bit about being "single to the glory
of God." In the scriptures, we read about keeping our eye single, our
minds single, and our hearts single to the glory of God. I looked up
single and it means "free from deceit." I realized if my mind is
single, my thoughts/motives/desires are PURE. I am doing things for
the right reasons and not getting caught up on things that aren't in
line with my purpose. I have tried to remember the scripture (D&C
88:68-69) this week when distracting thoughts have come and it has
really helped me!

We have a great week planned ahead! Guys, this church is true. If you
don't know it, ask. If you don't believe, read the scriptures. I love
you!

--Sister Peacock
{ny south|forever changed}

She is 5'9" haha. Great shot right?



No comments: