Hola mi familia. This past week flew by (ok, are you getting tired of that hearing that?). We had the Women's Conference on Tuesday and it was a treat. There are around 70 sisters in the mission now, I think. The whole theme was based on President Uchtdorf's talk "Joy in the Journey" (or something like that). We had workshops and a chance to reconnect with sisters in the mission. It's funny because both of my companions have other sisters in the mission from their MTC district, except me. So, I have been working at getting to know other sisters, and I always talk to President Calderwood's wife. We seem to have a special connection since I was the only missionary to come in the day I did.
She gave a workshop on Patriarchal Blessings and it helped me see things in such a new, incredible way! She said to look for the abilities that we have been given by God. But, more than that, you can look at the things God says you can do, or shouldn't do, and turn that in to "I have the ability to..." I was amazed to find such new, inspiring things that I have the power to do!
I sang at the close of the conference and played the piano while Sister Sandberg held the microphone. I sang "Prove Me" by Hilary Weeks, which fit really well with the theme. One sister said, "i love your voice! It's so suave...like shampoo." But, it has been such a blessing to be able to share talents! And, one of the members found my videos on Youtube, which means dinner appointments now sometimes include playing a song on guitar.
On Thursday night, we taught English again and I LOVED it. We only had two people come, but it is a joy to see them learning more and more each week! And at the end of class, we were talking about church. Julio apparently came the week before, walked in the doors, saw all the people in teh chapel, felt nervous, and walked out. I told him to please come again this week because he already five friends at church with the missionaries! And he came :) The other person who was in class that night also came. Hopefully we'll see them again at church. Luckily we see them at English class to remind them too.
Finally, I must tell you about our BEST DAY yet. It was Friday, and even though there was a "tropical storm" warning and flood watches throughout the day and our clothes, shoes, hair, etc were completely soaked, it was a wonderful day. We had five appointments set up and every single one happened, which hasn't happened yet on my mission! In addition to the five, we were able to knock into someone when we had a few extra minutes and she let us in and we have a return appointment. The best part of Friday was our visit with dear Mirna. We were again talking about preparing her to go to the temple for baptisms (she's in her 50s) and then I felt prompted to ask, "Mirna, wait ... do you want to prepare to receive your endowments?" We hadn't talked about that yet, but she was so excited when I asked and enthusiastically agreed that she wants to prepare for that as well. And, when that day comes, I can go with her because President is very supportive of us supporting those we teach. Mirna brings a smile to my face every time we meet with her! There were many great things about Friday, but that's all I have time to write about in the email!
Saturday we had dinner with the Bloms and taught a lesson with Matt. He is such an intelligent person and Bro Blom was able to explain to him his experiences with being a convert to the church in a way that none of us ever could, having grown up in the gospel. He also explained feeling the Holy Ghost and how when you feel it, you will recognize something different. Matt has a baptism date set with the elders, so we are working towards the end of June. We taught him the Word of Wisdom, and I had sort of pinned him as a coffee drinker (I don't know, I could imagine him sitting in a bookstore with a cup every now and then?). But, then we finish teaching and he said, "Well, coffee is disgusting, no problem with alcohol or tobacco...and illegal drugs? I mean I take ibuprofen for headaches every now and then, but is that allowed?" Excited to see his progression! And he is playing for us next Sunday in church because we sisters are doing a musical number. I thought that was a good way to get Matt involved.
Anyway, it's almost the end of transfers, which is crazy! I don't know where I will be next transfer since this is the "end" of me being trained (though I'll have two more weeks technically). But, we'll see! I know that God will know what is best, so I have to trust in Him and not stress about leaving these people I love!
Oh, and did I ever tell you? I love these companions. And, Sister Sandberg, who was called to Brazil, has taken it upon herself to learn Spanish while she is here. Can you imagine? I think I would be a basketcase! But, she can now pray, bear her testimony, and tries to converse with the Spanish people. Spanish and Portuguese are very similar, but the pronunciations are different. And the Spanish have taken to calling her "Hermana Barbie." Anyway, I have such good examples for me here!
until next week,
Sister Peacock
No comments:
Post a Comment