First, my area is Riverhead, NY. You should google it. It's not the city at all. In fact, we have a field behind our house, there are trees everywhere, and farms. It's beautiful, quiet, and nothing like the city! It's the area farthest East in our mission. And I kind of "felt" like I would be sent here when I was talking to President last Monday when I arrived. If you look at a map, we are right at the fork of Long Island, about 2 hours to the mission office in Queens. Right now, we are living in the home for the senior couple missionaries, but will be moving at the end of the month when the new couple arrives. I've definitely been spoiled in my first area! We have a big house with a piano, my companions let me have the queen bed, and I have a walk-in closet. Yeah, spoiled, I tell you! But, we'll be moving soon! I hear the sisters' apartments are pretty nice though. Once I get that address, I'll send it to you because it takes a while longer for letters/packages to be forwarded here in the STYX (just for you, Zach and Jake).
My first night in the mission, I was once again spoiled. Because I was the only missionary (coming out mid-transfer), I was able to spend the whole day with President Calderwood and his family! We went out for seafood at a nice restaurant on the marina and I enjoyed getting to know him and his family! The next day, Sis. Calderwood made breakfast for me and then I headed in to meet my companions.
I am currently in a trio. Sis. Madsen is from CA and went to school to be an exotic animal trainer (like she could work in the circus ... or at the zoo). She goes home in about 3 weeks, after which Sis. Hale will take over training me. Sis Hale has been in New York for 8 weeks, so she is actually still getting trained herself, but has a good hang of things. I'm learning a lot about the work and how to work in a trio :) It's an adjustment, like most things, but we're learning together!
The work here is really unique! We have a small branch (as in, there are 8 benches in the chapel) that is both Spanish and English, so I speak and teach lessons in both. We have a car because the area is pretty spread out. It's been a little hard at times to not feel "busy enough" when appointments fall through or people aren't home when they say, but we have also had some tender mercies already!
We are teaching a woman named Olga and my companions last visited her the beginning of April. We were able to stop by last night and see her. It was the first lesson that I felt like I had a lot to contribute, and I think I had a connection with her. She agreed to have us come back tonight, so hopefully she will follow through!
There is also a woman named Blanca who is less active that we are helping. She is in her sixties and was the first person I met here in Riverhead. I told her last week that she needed to come to church because I needed a friend there. She came on Sunday, and I was very excited to see her and told her I was glad "my friend" had come :)
I already love the members here! It's amazing to have that much love for strangers, but it's true! There are a few "key" families here that we work with: the Arreolas (they were sealed last month), the Leons (also converts) and the Blom family (English family). I am glad that I can say what I want to say (for the most part) and Hermana Leon said my Spanish was "excellent." Well, it's far from excellent, but practicing it really helps, obviously! I like to tell stories about my family in Spanish. It's fun to be able to bring a piece about me to the conversations.
On Friday night, we had a HUGE party. It was Culture Night, and we had more than 150 people come (and when we have 40-50 MAYBE at church, this is a big deal). We had members, non members, investigators, everything come. It was awesome! Basically, people performed dances from their country (Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, etc.) and then we had food from those countries too. The American table had cake and apple pie. Ha. It was fun to try food from different countries! Although I really liked Bro. Blom's sauerkraut and polish sausage dish ... haha. But, the culture night was a blast. I was able to meet a lot of people and felt connected with the ward. And they included me right away! I was in the Honduras presentation (I attached a few pictures). My district also performed the Hannah Montana "Hoedown Throwdown" song, taught to us by our Zone Leader (Elder Cabeza de Vaca ... head of cow, yes). It was a hit. I had someone record it, so I should be able to send it somehow, eventually.
I can't believe it hasn't even been three weeks since I left because there has been a tremendous amount of change! But, overall, I am happy, and healthy and learning more and more everyday!
One thing that is pretty awesome is in Alma 23. It talks about the group being converted and as "many as were converted never did fall away". In Alma 24, it mentions that they buried their weapons of war, for peace. I know we can make changes in our life to be more fully converted. Just think about that, ok?
Thank you for your emails, prayers, and letters! And remember I love you very much. Family is the BEST. That's why I'm here ... so families can be forever. Everyday I think of those investigators who will be ready to embrace the message ... I pray for them too! I know they're here somewhere.
Ok, until next week. Les quiero mucho!
Hermana Peacock
The morning I left the MTC! 3 a.m. never felt better :)
Me & Hermana Puckett matching on our last day in the MTC. We had unity
Sis Gray, who served in NY NY South and is an MTC teacher now
Pic 3: Me with Pres & Sis Calderwood on my first day in New York
A view of the backyard
Culture Night photos:
My district at our "Culture Night" where we danced to the Hoedown Throwdown.
I was a Honduran for part of the night, so they had me braid my hair and wear this Honduran embroidered dress. Also, those are my two companions in the last photo. Hermana Madsen has the short hair and Hermana Hale is the blonde! They were given Honduran tshirts by a family in the branch.
PS. I LOVE HISPANIC KIDS!
I love Cedar City ... or Cedar Avenue
Did you picture New York like this? That's my driveway.
Playing Hungry Hippos with a Spanish boy (for Lizzie and Millie)
Taking a Sunday walk by the river and there were all these cool carvings!
1 comment:
If you get out to Montauk (I'm guessing it's in your area since you're the farthest east), watch out for the Montauk Monster! haha
Post a Comment