4.29.2013

In a van by the river ...


Apparently we are moving soon! And we don't know where yet, but our kind District Leaders sent us a text that said "We hope you like geese and ducks." We will be living in a house on the banks of the river, apparently. So, that should be fun to find out :)
As for this week, there are so many stories. Where do I begin? I have tried to keep notes this last week so I didn't forget! I'm going to try to divide up my emails to make it more organized (OCPD, family?).
Teaching Times

As the new missionary, I get asked to pray A LOT in lessons and in Spanish. Well, and English. But, I've learned something really neat. I always thought that revelation in prayer comes in things like Priesthood blessings. False! I receive inspiration while I'm saying prayers for investigators and other people too! It's awesome to say exactly what God wants me to say, even in a different language.
Second, we had exchanges this week. BLESSED DAY! I'm learning from my companions, but this exchange was an answer to my prayers. Sister Hale and I learned so much from Sister Nichols that we wanted to start implementing. Sister Madsen wasn't fond of the knocking approach, since it's not as effective. But, the first week, I felt like we had wasted time and could have been at least trying out other ways to find people. After exchanges, we started planning knocking into our day, if time allowed or plans fell through. Guess what? We have new investigators. We have been able to bless people's homes and get to know them, regardless of if they want us to return.
One family sticks out. We had been knocking and were headed back to the car. We see a family, 2 boys on bikes. We start talking to them and the husband eventually says that he used to be a member in his teens in Guatemala. We invited him to church and he took our number. We had a great conversation with him and his wife, and hope that it at least planted a seed. We know it wasn't coincidence, and consider it God saying he approved of how we were spending our time. 

One lady, Yolanda, was very nice. She told us she wanted us to come back when her house was clean, but gave us hugs and bottled water. We are excited to go and talk to her again! Through knocking, we've also met a Polish woman (who we taught yesterday), and I was able to pray for a blessing on the home of a Russian woman. We meet people of all places here. It's great. You don't know if the person on the other side of the door will be Polish, Spanish, Chinese, English...it's always a surprise here!
We had an appointment with a family who is going through a rough time (the husband and wife are splitting up). I asked Sister Hale if she would sing with me at our appointment. We sang "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" (in Spanish) and Maria told us that she had a "knot in her throat" from it. I am trying to use the talents I've been blessed with on my mission! I also am one of 2 piano players in our branch, so I am able to do that too!
Member Moments
The members here are great. One family, the Leon family, are quickly becoming dear friends of mine. Hermana Leon came with us to a teaching appt the other day and I was driving. She was SURE I could not see above the steering wheel, though I assured her I could. When we stopped at her house, she made me stand next to her husband (who is about the same size as me). She said he uses two pillows when he drives.
We have Hispanic Family Night each week at the church. This last week, there were about 3-4 Spanish children sitting by me. One was wearing my nametag; another was drawing pictures and wearing my necklace; another was pretending to play with my hair. Hispanic babies are the cutest.

On Sunday, I had to give a talk in church. The podium does not lower and wouldn't you know? It was a little tall! President Kruegar got up to get the stool for me (like for Primary Kids) but I refused to use it! I think I might have been on tip toes. I joked that I was the youth speaker. Hermana Leon said she "knew that would happen" and told my companions "take care of the child!"

Brother Leon had added me on Facebook, so now they know my first name. Hermana Leon said, "Cherry? Why not estrawberry or melon?" But most members here refer to me as "Hermana Pavoreal" since it's easier to pronounce than Peacock. Brother Leon usually says "Hermana Pickup" (like his truck).
I also translated in Relief Society yesterday! Scary times. I need to expand my vocabulary, but it was a great feeling to know that sometimes I knew exactly what to say.
Anyway, thank you for the emails and letters, as always. They are so appreciated! We look forward to the mail each day that it comes ... and of course, Monday emails! And thank you for sending photos. How dear those are to me!

I love you. The work is moving forward. The district is great. I love it here!
Hermana Pavoreal/Pickup/Peacock

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Cheri! Hey! I am so glad I figured out you're posting about your mission here...thanks to your mom :) I have loved reading through your posts and finding out more about how your mission has been so far. As I expected, it sounds like you are an awesome missionary and having lots of fun, spiritual experiences. I am looking forward to reading more of your updates :)
I sent you a small package today from the address you have listed on the right of your blog. Hope it gets there okay.
Love you ! Nat