Tuesday morning, I woke to a text from a dear friend. The text notified me of the passing of an 18-year-old boy I had the privilege to meet in Riverhead, New York. I served in Riverhead for the first nine months of my mission. A memory came flooding to my mind — it was my first night as a missionary in my new area of Riverhead. We were living in a home next to the church and our branch president stopped to welcome me. I remember feeling comfortable and excited to get to know the members and the area, and grateful for such a welcoming branch president.
I would get to know him — and his family — quite well over the course of those six transfers spent there, in that place that would become my home.
Shortly before leaving to my second area, their youngest son, Tristin, was often sick and exhausted. A few weeks into my new area, I heard he had been diagnosed with leukemia. It was a shock to me — how could someone so young (then 16) have to face a life-threatening disease?
That was December 2013.
In October 2014, I returned back to Utah and had last heard that he was doing better and that his cancer was in remission. It was quite a shock to get the text saying he'd passed away Monday, July 27.
At work, I sat at my desk, dumbfounded as I thought about life. Life is so fragile. I've heard that phrase a million times, but this time, I actually felt it. Tristin was just a boy. I grieved for his parents and for his siblings. For the loss they are now facing. For the sadness and heartache. Even though I believe we will see each other again, the grief is still there. The pain is still deep and undoubtedly unbearable at the present time.
I thought of the miracle that I am 24 and relatively healthy. How blessed am I to have this gift of life?
This song came on as I was contemplating all of this and some of it stuck out to me (also, it's a beautiful song).
"We've got seven days
till we say goodbye.
Back to separate ways,
I'll miss you more this time.
We don't need to know
The future isn't ours.
One more day for you to hold me
Cause I don't know
When I'll see you again."
My dear friends, life really is a gift. A beautiful, beautiful gift. And to my dear friends, the Krueger family, thank you for the love you have shared with so many. For reaching out and helping those around you. I pray you can be comforted to feel the love from those around you and from our Heavenly Father. I do know you'll see Tristin again.

No comments:
Post a Comment